Forum Spy shrinking list

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by GGJstudios, Jun 15, 2010.

1. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In the past, Forum Spy would display new threads as they are posted. New threads would be added at the top of the list and once the list was large enough (usually well over a dozen threads showing), it would drop a thread off the bottom as a new one is added to the top, maintaining anywhere from 12-30 lines of posts displayed.

Over the past week, something appears to have changed. Now, posts are removed from the bottom of the list, even if no new posts are added, causing the list to shrink.

Starting with this:
    Picture 4.jpg
    Without clicking anything, but simply letting Forum Spy update automatically, in a few minutes I end up with this:
    Picture 11.jpg
    And finally, this:
    Picture 1.jpg
    Any ideas why this is happening now? I prefer being able to see at least a dozen or more of the most recent posts at all times, rather than a single post.

Naturally, I've reset Safari 5, clearing cookies and cache, rebooted, etc.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Not happening for me. I'm using Firefox. Not happening in Safari 5 either.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't have that problem, but I did notice that fewer posts load initially when I go to Spy.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Happens for me too on Mac OS X 10.6.3 and Safari 4.0.4 since yesterday.
    But it seems to be better now, as I can see 23 posts right now. The list grows again.
    Btw, I have not reset anything, just re-installed Mac OS X yesterday or so.

Thanks for making this thread, as I was about to make one too.

5. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

A few questions:

Does it still happen if you select "View All" rather than excluding forums?

Once it goes to "Loading posts..." do any posts appear after this if you leave it for a while, or do you have to reload to get anything?

If you do reload, does that work immediately?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Had this issue yesterday, was also about to make a thread. Works fine now though

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'll take a crack at a possible explanation based on what I remember from an answer Knox gave me a while back about this. My numbers are estimates.

This happens whenever posts are being submitted in rapid succession on forums that you have excluded in your spy preferences. I think by default, without any exclusions, forum spy displays 50-ish posts or 15 minutes worth, whichever comes first. When loads of posts are being submitted in your excluded forums those 50-ish posts are merely being hidden, so you're only seeing a few minutes worth of posts from forums you have INcluded.

I'm hoping that makes sense/is correct.

I noticed it yesterday too. I laughed when I only had 4 posts displayed in forum spy. I only exclude about 15 forums, your 56 made me giggle. :D

When the forums are positively buzzing with posts, such as on update days, keynotes, etc, I think it's typically better to just enter the specific forums you're interested in rather than rely on the spy.

8. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

Very close to being exact :) There's no time limit, just a 60 post limit, and as you hinted at, the phenomenon will be more prominent when you have lots of excluded forums and/or the forums are busier than normal (there were more posts yesterday than even keynote day last week).

9. GGJstudios thread starter macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's hard to tell, since there are so many shown in all forums.
    After 2-10 minutes, a post or two will appear, without reloading.
    Reloading doesn't make anything appear immediately.

I think you and iBlue have nailed the issue, and confirmed a suspicion I had. When this was happening yesterday, I clicked on "View all" and saw the iPhone forums were buzzing. I suspected that, in some way, the heavy traffic in my blocked forums was affecting the Forum Spy display of the slower traffic in my preferred forums. I think this was exactly the case. The 60 post limit explains it completely. Thanks to both of you!