Forum warnings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

A few of the sites I regularly visit on the web are being intercepted by this page today. I have not experienced it on here I should say. And no, not 'those' sort of sites either!

[​IMG]

I've since heard from someone that clicking on the link shown there is what causes the virus. I'm guessing PC users beware, but can it do anything to me on a Mac? Have any of you seen this from Google or is it dodgy?

I've had Google warnings in the past but they've never looked like this one does
    Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've experienced it before ... but normally only when searching for something and clicking on a google result. I haven't had it come up visiting any of my regularly visiting sites.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you can't infect a Mac simply by clicking on a web page. Second, there are no Mac OS X viruses in existence. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    I've clicked "Ignore Warning" on those links in the past and absolutely nothing bad happens.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Adding to what ^^^ said, if the site does automatically download something, it can only harm your computer if you choose to install whatever app is downloaded from the site.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, as always.....

Yeh, it just didn't look familiar, like they do on google images when they come up. I seen them a few times but not this one or heard of that flashplayer11.kwik.to link, and that didn't come up on a search, which if it was legit probably would of..

Thanks again

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

P.S.
    When you click continue, Is this the Mac telling you that even visiting the site can install the malware and harm the computer or is it the fake message from wherever it originates from?

[​IMG]

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think that is a popup generated by google - as an extra layer of security.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While the message may be true for Windows, it doesn't apply to Mac OS X. You can't install malware on Mac OS X simply by visiting a site. You would have to download a file, launch it, and manually complete the installation process, which usually requires entering your admin password.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. It's at times like this that I wonder why anyone on the planet uses Windows

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

You should, however, warn the admins of the forums this is coming up on. Odds are, they have a dodgy ad on their sites which could be affecting Windows users.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

OP, is this warning happening here?

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

No, it's not happening on here. But several other legit forums are suffering from this today.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Good shout, I did on one, but it's coming up on every click... and boy is it a pain to do anything on them. But yeh, you're right