Forum

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Benchtech, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Benchtech macrumors member

I have created my new forum, it's all set up and the SSL certificate has finally been installed by GoDaddy (I won't go into that).

I have opened it but was wondering how do I get members to join and post? At the moment there is no real incentive for people to join as there is not many posts and there is a lot of empty boards. I know I will need to write some myself but people aren't going to like chatting on a forum with hundreds of posts by one person.

The link is in my signature if you can think of some ways to help it'd be appreciated.

Ben.

EDIT: Oh, and if possible could you tell me what you think of it? Improvments and all, thanks again.

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Good layout, good organization - I like the site.

One question to ask yourself is why should people come to your forum whether their is posts in there or not over MacRumors, AndroidCentral, Windows, etc.?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the web is flooded with forums like this. To me, I would find myself signing up but never posting. Usually only the forums that carry a huge amount of members keeps me interested and even then, there is a level of boredom that hits every so often.

4. Benchtech thread starter macrumors member

That's a question I find myself asking often, and the trouble is I can't answer it myself, I prefer coming to MacRumours, haha. It's hard to find a neiche that I am interested in, if I don't like it then I won't really bother. I am going to give it a go, I have managed to get it to second on Google when you search benchtech in around a week so I am pretty proud. I am advertising it on Facebook and just hoping someone will sign up so I can have discussions with them and generate some posts and traffic.

One idea I though of was tutorials and reviews, I have put one tutorial and hope this will bring traffic and then people will register.

Do you think enabling guest posts is a good idea? To get some posts or is at invatation to spam?

Thanks for the comments and the feedback!

Ben

----------

There seems to be that sort of cycle on most forums, but I'm only 16 so I will give it a go and see what comes of it. Hopefully I can build up a good memberbase and get some good posters.

I would offer competitions but I have nothing to offer :p

5. Comeagain?, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

only for threads you find would be benefited from a more broad perspective. Spam would become a problem, especially as the site grows.

You now have a new member!

6. Benchtech thread starter macrumors member

Ah good point. I saw! Thankyou! :D:D