Forums feel draconian

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by swingerofbirch, Mar 11, 2010.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I'm a longtime member and I can't remember the forums feeling so draconian until recently. It seems like something has changed. Even though I've never posted false or misleading information myself, it wouldn't bother me if someone did--I think that's the whole thing about rumors--everyone wants to know the truth but most rumors are misinformation. If this site didn't use information that could have come from a false or misleading source, there wouldn't be much to say at all.

And as far as the volume of posts about MBPs being updated, doesn't that only help MR? More page views=more money, right? So why then are the forums shut down from time to time for rest periods? I feel like people are afraid to post in that forum and are worried about staying on topic even though the topic to begin with is entirely vague. For my own part, I feel like since almost every page has no information of value (I am not belittling people writing for the sake of writing--just saying it hasn't furthered anyone's knowledge, yet I understand its purpose), I have felt like interjecting some humor from time to time. I thought I had a pretty witty and topical joke about Eric Massa as it related to another poster's comments about bum rushing Steve Jobs. I thought it was funny at least, and it was in a sea of thousands of other posts which weren't like people working toward finding the cure for cancer. It was in a sea of thousands of posts about when an unannounced computer might come out. I don't think I was stopping some process. And it's the inability to slightly deviate from a topic that I think inhibits an ability to have a sense of community. In day to day conversations, you don't start with one topic and mandate it stay on that topic for eons. Again I'm not encouraging deviation more than one or two levels away from topic as threads are different than real life, but a joke here or there won't hurt anything.

Anyhow, as you probably guessed, someone unceremoniously deleted my joke. But I don't really care about that. I was more concerned with the tone of the forums. It does seem a bit odd to not mind that people have posted thousands of what are fruitless comments (which again, does not bother me), but then insist that the fruitless topics stay on topic so strictly and to occasionally close the forums in some sort of punitive way, without explaining what the problem was. Or deleting jokes because someone might become distracted from the thousands of repetitive posts? I cannot recall the forums ever functioning that way before.

I was concerned about writing this because I do not want to be banned. But I feel I shouldn't have to worry about being banned for politely expressing my opinion about a medium I've been using for a number of years. I haven't even been at all an active poster in the MBP waiting threads. I was just noticing a negative vibe when I checked in on them that felt like it was emanating from a new slant on enforcing forum rules. I do enjoy the Macrumors forums, and I hope that this can be received in the spirit of being sent by a consumer with constructive criticism. And I hope that my trepidation in having sent it can itself be a telling message regarding the new tone I have noticed.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I haven't gotten that feeling. It may depend on the forums you frequent. I have noticed an uptick in new members and the repetitive threads that naturally ensue afterwards. I report posts pretty much daily for things like bumps, spam, and even pointless posts (not all get deleted). Off-topic posts can get in the way of main topics. The mod may have had a good reason to delete your post that you don't realize, even an accidental click on delete. If you really wanted to know you can contact them and find out.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You need not be concerned about that. Nobody in the history of MacRumors has been banned for politely expressing their opinion, except when it was an opinion that violated the terms of the registration agreement, e.g., hate speech.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It seems that you're referring to the infamous "waiting for arrandale" threads. The original thread was started nearly a year ago based on Intel's timeline. Nothing constructive has been posted there since mid-January when the processors were officially announced. Those threads have become very uptight recently due to Apple being "late" with this update. I would suggest staying away from those threads, there are plenty of other folks that don't mind lighthearted posts.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

There is however the difference between rumors that are considered "likely" because they are from a source that has generally been reliable in the past and rumors/speculation that are from unreliable sources or sources with no track record (yet). I don't generally mind both as long as they are still considered rumors.

That and the tons and tons of posts that are posted on those threads, especially before a Tuesday. The main reason why I'm waiting for a Sandy Bridge thread is so that I can post some constructive speculation on new info again.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If you want to see a forum where you get banned easily go to Gamedev.net.

I got put on warning and almost banned simply because I posted something on a really long thread (nothing bad mind you, just offering advice) and apparently 50 something posts back the moderator said "no more posting on this thread!" but never locked the thread.

Being a really long thread of course I didn't read the whole thing.

Luckily here the mods don't have the mentality of a 15 year old on a power trip so you should have nothing to worry about.

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think Macrumors has done quite well in surviving so long without the forums turning into a warzone. Most forums seem to eventually lead to a battle between those who have been on for years and the newcomers.

The only issues I have are:
    - The "Fanboy!" / "Troll!" incessant arguments in many threads.
    - The "Who cares about this story, when are the the new MBPs coming?" in EVERY thread! :p

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Thread closing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=875908

Shame on Mods for closing that thread, I could not believe it.

A few sensitive members took some off-the-cuff comments the wrong way, then decried their "lack of defense" as "so many votes against [them]".

Whiners asked for thread to be closed, and the thread was closed.

There were members intelligently discussing the topic, and a few radicals from each side of the fence decided to get testy and ruin it for the rest of us.

I understand that MR is a private entity with it's right to do what it feels, but I also understand that freedom of speech protects my right to offend. Not that I was being even remotely offensive, others handled that role pretty well.

I was shocked when I saw that the thread had actually been closed.

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I was even more surprised by what happened to my PM box. Eight messages from severely distraught/concerned members worried that a member had deserted MR forever due to that thread.

MR is well managed in my opinion. Sometimes posters get touchy, sometimes Mods get touchy. Who hasn't had a boss give them a hard time. Ever?

Now how do I ever get rid of that 0 point warning that has been in my UCP for months??? It really upsets me...:eek:

Dale

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don't. I tried.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The photography thread linked to above was closed at the request of the thread-starter.

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ohhhh

Ok, that makes perfect sense then. That slipped my mind, I remember reading it now.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I do.
    As for the OP's opinion on this place, I don't think there's been too much over moderation.

I do think there's been in an influx of new members, many of whom fail to comport themselves in a civil manner, and so I think the mods have been busy trying to keep things on track.

I used to go to frequent another forum, that was heavily moderated and now traffic/conversation is all but dried up. Then there's the apple discussion forums, and that board is very heavily moderated. All in all, I think MacRumors strikes a good balance.