Forums Possible with iWeb on a Host other than .Mac?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by website newbie, Aug 31, 2007.

1. website newbie macrumors newbie

I'd like to create a forum for my new business website and am debating whether to use iWeb, Rapidweaver or Sandvox. Can you create a forum (not just a blog with comments) for a site you created with iWeb? or would I be forced to use another easy website building program such as Rapidweaver or Sandvox? Does anyone have a preference for any of these programs?

Thanks!

2. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

None of the programs you mentioned are capable of setting up a discussion forum. Look at programs such as Vanilla, PunBB, PhpBB, and Simple Machine Forums (SMF).

3. website newbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Further Forum Help

I can use those programs in conjunction with a site I create in Rapidweaver or Sandvox, right? Can I do the same with iWeb?

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Certainly. Just upload your forum script to /forums and install it there. Be careful not to overwrite or delete it when updating your site.

Also, check out MyBB. Its awesome software.

5. website newbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Another Question

How difficult is it to make the forums look like the other pages in a site? Can you input the script within a theme? (You'll have to excuse me - I barely know what I'm talking about here.)

Thanks!

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You'll have to create a skin for your forums. This is can be quite difficult the first time, but once you have a working knowledge of HTML and CSS its actually quite a simple procedure.

If creating a skin isn't an option, most forum software has some repository of styles available for download and use. You could find that looks like or compliments your site and use that.