forward emails to mms/phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jfremani, Dec 29, 2009.

1. jfremani macrumors regular

This is probably an odd request, but I have a security camera network set up (webcam xp) that currently sends me an email if it detects motion. The email account is only used for this purpose and I receive messages fine on my iphone.

However, I am not "alerted" by sound or vibration when an email comes, nor would I want all my other emails to alert me everytime I get junk mail..

So, I'm curious if there is a way to forward the emails I get to mms so that the phone would beep or buzz should it detect motion?

I just set all this up yesterday so I am still experimenting..

TIA.

2. jfremani thread starter macrumors regular

3. jfremani thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Getting webcam XP to send directly to 1234567890@mms.att.net works, however sending it to gmail and having gmail forward it to mms does not seem to work.

4. whatupg1 macrumors newbie

Try using the texting apps in the app store such as TextFree or TextNow.

If your using Gmail you can setup a filter to forward emails that come from your webcam setup to forward to the username@textfree.us or username@textnow.me account.

You can then receive a text message on your iphone via "Push Notification" alerting you when the webcam has detected motion. I'm not sure if the texting apps such as TextFree and TextNow will support MMS and send you a picture or video but at least you'll be alerted that there is a new email and if nothing else be able to access your email acount for further details.