Forwarding a domain... I am SOOO CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wakerider017, Sep 28, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

All this is for my friend who wants to use the website for himself.

He already has his own domain, but he still wants me to host. (The website is pretty big with a MYSQL database) So I don't know what to give him in order for the website to be forwarded...

Right now I am using 1and1 for hosting and the site is residing at a temporary subdomain. chem.websitegoeshere.com

the location of the website physical location of the website is: (This info really does not make sense to me) /kunden/homepages/1/5555555555/htdocs/chem

Do I have to keep the website at chem.websitegoeshere.com and give him that address for him to forward his domain? If so is there anyway for it be where people don't see my domain and just see his?

Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Contact your host and ask them to set up a domain pointed to the specific directory in your account.

3. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

That's confusing, but you can use "add on" domains, with cpanel. That will allow multiple domain names to use the same host. It will also mask the domain name the name and use the one the person typed in as long as you've used relative urls.

4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Add his domain to your account and have him change the nameservers to point to 1 and 1.

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Hey guys thanks!

I was looking how to do that in 1and1 yesterday.

Just spoke with this kid and turns out this kid really only has a partial subdomain. It is like ctr.usf.edu/xxxxx

Where multiple groups use that subdomain...

Looks like he might have to host the files and I continue to host the database.