Forwarding a webpage email

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by enigma2118, Feb 27, 2012.

1. enigma2118 macrumors regular

Hey there everyone.

I've created a webpage that is like a little poster for the current production of my theatre company (also used as our facebook page)

I'm able to send the page as an email to the staff and cast, but I would like for them to be able to forward the email to their friends, family and audience members.

However if you just forward the email, it looses the HTML quality, and just becomes a text email with empty frames.

Anyone know how to accomplish this? I also assume that not everyone is going to have the same OS or email client.

Thanks everyone!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a good assumption. You could take a screen capture of the page and attach that image to your emails. That way the page will appear as intended. Also include a link to the actual site.

4. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Yes, [Command + I] from Safari is the best way to do this. You will need to test in various email clients and browser to ensure consistency though. It will likely display a bit differently in each.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You could always send them the HTML file and request that they open it using their web-browser...

6. enigma2118 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks iDecker and Apple Key, but using Safari to send the email was how I already sent the email to the staff.

The next step is for them to be able to forward the email to whomever they like.

I was hoping for something relatively simple. Not everyone has a Mac, or use Apple's Mail program as their email client, so I can't tell them to go to the website and "Send Page As Email" with Safari as I did.

Yeah, just wish there was a universal way to forward an email so it was exactly the same as the original, that way the HTML would stay intact.

GGJstudios, thanks for the suggestion, but the page/email has links embedded that I would like the receiver to be able to click on.

It seems like such a simple request, but those seemingly simple ones tend to drive you nuts.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

While visiting your website in Safari, click File>Save As... and choose where to save it and what to save it as. The Format should be Page Source.

This will create an HTML file. Attach it and send it. They open the attachment and open the HTML file with their browser.

All web browsers will open the HTML file just as if they were visiting the site online. Simple. Everything, links, formatting and images, will work on all systems with all browsers.

8. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Unfortunately forwarding emails are always going to be dependent on the knowledge of the user forwarding them. There really is now way around this, as they could choose to delete portions of it, or send as text only.

I would recommend an image as GGJstudios suggested. Or you could send a pdf. That would at least just be an attachment that they need to forward.

As far as some users not being on the Mac, I don't recall off the top of my head what it is, but IE has an equivalent of send page by email.