Forwarding emails.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Jan 30, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have a website set out on .mac

I was wondering if I could successfully purchase a domain and have that directly connect to my .mac website? (i.e. not just forward but be able to have www.Randomsite.com instead of http://mac.homepage.com/randomsite on every page)

I was also wondering if the domain name supports email forwarding does this mean I can set up an alias of paypal@randomsite.com (for instance) and have customers send money to this, but it will actually go to paypal@hotmail.com or something similar?

This may seem complicated but in the long run I want to make my site look professional and not have bad domain names and hotmail addresses flying about!

Thanks!

2. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Crappy post on my part but I know it's possible to have an address (e.g www.randomsite.com) stay like that in the address bar even though you move to your .mac webpages. I just can't remember how to do it anymore, someone may help with that.

On the PayPal side of things, just set up another email address with your PayPal account. They allow up to 10 email addresses to one PayPal account, then just set the paypal@randomsite.com email to forward to your hotmail account so you know when you've been paid.

Hope that helps in some way.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

This can be done but often, and becoming more often, web-browsers will put the actual url in the address bar after forwarding since the masking of a web address is a favorite trick for spoofing and phishing. If you're trying to use the website to look professional to make money, masking the url that people are actually seeing may work more against you than having the simpler/non-mac url. You'd be better off hosting your website at www.randomsite.com and then forwarding your .mac web page to this site.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok thanks you guys for the speedy response...

I currently have the site up on a .tk website and the address bar for every page say www.randomsite.tk which looks good but .tk is painfully slow, doesn't allow the use of the back and forward buttons and has an annoying ad bar.

Any more suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated!

Regarding the paypal account I was wondering if the paypal@randomsite.com (i.e. the alias) was a real email account as is says on the website that it is only "email forwarding" where will money sent to this account be sent?

I am only trying to do it this way as the email address can cost around $70 a year and I am doing a small short term project for a friend and I feel I am wasting money as I won't be using the email address for say 9 months of the 1 year contract as the whole exercise should only really take 2-3 months!

Sorry for another essay style post but I know the help here is the best I can get!

Thanks

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If you're really using it for paypal then as ::Lisa:: suggested you can just go in and add that email address to your paypal account and use that for people to send money to. Once you're done with the project you can disassociate the email address from your paypal account.

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sorry for another question but does it not matter that this is a forwarding email?

Will paypal recognise this?

Thanks

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't think it will. The email address is valid, it just doesn't store emails, it forwards them to another email account. I think as long as you get the messages that paypal sends to that email address, either by accessing it directly or forwarding messages, you should be fine.

8. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Do you or anyone else for that matter know a way I could test it or just make sure it works? (that is before purchasing the email forwarding system...)

Thanks