Forwarding my domain to Mobile Me

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by NorCalLights, Jan 19, 2011.

1. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,
    Sorry if this is a really stupid question. I'm having a little trouble getting the domain I registered with godaddy.com to point to my website hosted on MobileMe.

I went into the DNS Manager on Go Daddy's website and set the Host "www" to point to web.me.com. If I type "www.<mydomain>.com" into my browser, everything works great.

However, if I only type "<mydomain>.com" into my browser, it goes to a generic Go Daddy junk page. Anyone know what I have to change in the DNS Manager to get "<mydomain>.com" (without a leading "www.") to point to web.me.com?

2. phreebsd macrumors regular

when u say "host" are you talkin (A) record or CNAME?
    you need to edit the CNAME to say web.me.com

3. NorCalLights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Under A (host) it says "@" points to some IP address (I haven't changed this... do I need to?).

Under CNAME it says "e" "email" "ftp" and a bunch of others that I haven't changed from their defaults. It also says "www" points to "web.me.com" which I did already change.

Sorry if this is vague... thanks for your quick reply.

4. CANEHDN, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

When you're viewing the domain details there is a section under Domain Information called Forwarding. Copy the link you want to forward to and paste it in that forwarding section. It may take a couple hours for the forward to take effect.

5. NorCalLights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah thanks. I saw that but I didn't want to screw anything up. I'll give that a shot.

Cheers.