Forwarding ports to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ElectricMan5, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ElectricMan5 macrumors regular

I've been stuck on this for a while, and I can't seem to do it.
    I have a Linksys router, and whenever I try to forward the ports, it always has the preset 192.168.1.XXX set it, and I can only change the last 3 digits to my IP address. The only problem is, my Mac can only access the internet when it's IP is a 10.10.10 address. If it's not, i have to renew the DHCP Lease before I get a connection.

What to do??

Thanks!

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Can you please be more specific as to why your mac needs to have a 10.10.10 ip when if you're using a linksys, unless you've specified the DHCP settings in the linksys, you will ALWAYS have a 192.168.1.xxx ip. Or simply explain in more detail why "only access the internet when it's IP is a 10.10.10 address."

Please elaborate, and maybe we can help!

3. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

I really dont know why... It just works like that i guess. Never gives me a connection. I never set anything. Its the same with all ot my familys macs... Needs tp be 10.10.10.

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

umm....that makes 0 sense. I think if you straighten out your IP stuff you'll have much better luck forwarding ports.

If your macs are set to use DHCP to acquire their network addresses and you are using a linksys router, they should be getting 192.168.1.xxx addresses, unless you changed how your linksys assigns IP addresses.

In the linksys pic, the IP address listed is 192.168.1.1 that is the router's IP, that one you use to access the router and that is also the Gateway IP address. Unless you changed that to 10.10.10.xxx then there's NO reason your macs should need to use that IP range.

below that will be the DHCP Start address...for me, I set it to start assigning at 192.161.1 (assigned by the gateway ip address above) .150

I have my xbox and my G5 tower set as static ip's below 150. So thats why I started it there.

Then as you can see in my TCP/IP settings on my macbook pro, it's pulling that 150 address because it was the first wifi device to connect and I don't specify it's IP. SO it pulls that first assignable address of 192.168.1.150.

see attached.

Attached Files:

5. msevild macrumors regular

Maybe I am wrong(it's been quite along time since I've had a linksys router since they always give me too much trouble), but you should be able to change your DHCP server to have whatever address you like. If not, then I guess more information is necessary. Do you have numerous routers at home or just the linksys?

6. ElectricMan5 thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing. I have no explanation of why this is happening... The router is set to 192.168.1.1, and i never set up any DHCP server.

I noticed it happening when I first got it. I'd wake it up, and it'd say i was connected, but i'd never get a connected to the internet. So i had to walk downstairs and turn off the router, then turn it back on. I was sick of doing this, so i started looking around the internet, and i found the DHCP lease thing. I tried it, and it worked. But then i noticed that it would never give me a connection on a 192.168 address. Don't ask me why...

My dad has some sort of other router "base" that the ethernet cable is plugged into... I assume there's some setting in that one, but i don't know how to change it.

I doubt it has anything to do with it though... It only connects to his computer.