Forwarding SMS to email

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Averillovessev, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Averillovessev macrumors newbie

I know that this question has been answered in terms of going to the SMS and simply forwarding to email, but my problem is slightly different.

I live in an area that doesn't have coverage, which is fine during the day when I am out but once I get home if people want to contact me then texting is not an option and not everyone knows that. So at times I miss important messages until the morning when I get back into coverage.

I have googled and searched but there are apparently barely any options and the few there are I am not sure will forward the messages when the phone is not in coverage?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

2. takeshi74, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'm not sure you'll find a lot of options that will automatically switch for you. An app probably isn't going to help as your phone isn't receiving the messages when it doesn't have coverage so there's no way for the app to forward messages for you. You'd have to see if your carrier has some sort of service to do this if it can't deliver SMS to you because your device is unreachable.

Google Voice would work for this as SMS messages are sent as data and you can send/receive GV messages not only on your device but also from any internet connected machine. There's even a handy GV extension for Chrome (that I use all the time at home, work and on my laptops) that will notify you as soon as you receive messages and allow you to read/send SMS from the plugin itself if you don't want to have to hit the GV site. No need to worry about switching as this is "always on" and doesn't even require forwarding.

However, you'd have to switch to using the Google Voice number or port your number over. There are other caveats that you may or may not be willing to deal with as well. GV integration isn't the greatest on IOS though it is better with the GV extensions if you're JB'ed.