forwarding Touches to UIWebView

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by philswenson, Oct 13, 2008.

1. philswenson macrumors newbie

What I’m looking for is to be able to intercept touches on a UIWebView (specifically a single tap to bring up a toolbar). UIWebView eats all touches, so I have a transparent view over a UIWebView. The transparent view (which is a subclass of UIView) is getting the events and the UIWebView is displaying fine behind the transparent view. What I can’t get working is the forwarding of events to the UIWebView so the user can still interact with the UIWebView

Here’s the code:

All the touch events in the TransparentView look like:

Code:
    - (void)touchesBegan:(NSSet *)touches withEvent:(UIEvent *)event {
           [webView touchesBegan:touches withEvent:event];
    	UITouch*	touch = [[event touchesForView:self] anyObject];
    	NSLog(@"touch = %@", touch);
    }
    My output looks like:
    touch = <uitouch: 0x108ea30> phase: Began tap count: 1 window: <uiwindow: 0x1027300> view: <transparentview: 0x1084610> location in window: {32.000000, 164.953613} previous location in window: {32.000000, 164.953613}

So perhaps the touch won't work with the UIWebView because touchesForView returns "transparentView"? If so, how to I get past this?

Any ideas? I think I’m really close…

thanks

2. firewood macrumors 604

I wonder if one can outright call a UIWebView's touch delegates directly? (not only to pass input down from an overlay, but to fake input for testing). Just declare these methods in your view handler's public .h file.