Found 2 (13 inch) Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjritchie, Jan 22, 2012.

1. kjritchie macrumors newbie

I was walking home early one morning from a friends house. Not even kidding, two 13" Macbook Pros are sitting in the snow with no one to be found. Curiously, of course, I walk over to them and begin inspecting them. Now, keep in mind that this was a Saturday night/Sunday morning at 4 a.m. and I live in a very prestigious college town that is known for it's drinking. I own my own Macbook Pro (15") so I know a little about these computers.

1st Macbook Pro Description.
    The first one I noticed looks like it has been dropped quite a few times. It's having issues closing completely. I connected my power cord to it and nothing happened. No light showed on the charger, no sound came forward when I tried to turn it on. It seems pretty dead.

2nd Macbook Pro Description.
    The second one is in a lot better shape than the first one. I plugged it in just as I did for the first one but this time there was a green light showing on the charger (Which I think means the battery is still functioning) This laptop also looks like it has been dropped a few times - not as many times as the first one, though. I held down the power button (with it plugged in) and that typical Macbook sound went off like it's turning on a loading. The screen was black but I was able to see what page the former owner was on when they last used it. So, the screen works... to a degree. The fan started running when I turned it on so I feel like this computer has potential.

I talked to a few friends that are pretty handy with computers and they recommended that I get involved in a forum discussion and maybe I'll derive some answers.

So, I'm on here asking for help and suggestions on what the most beneficial way to go about this situation would be. I'm NOT going to return them to their owners. Anyone who is stupid enough to throw their Macbook Pros around doesn't deserve it back. I have checked on Apple's website and both computers are registered by their Serial Number on the back - which sucks.

So please, anyone who has either dealt with a similar situation or has any advice, please help me out. Thank you

P.S. The first two pictures are for the first computer description. The second pair of pictures are for the second computer description

-kyle

Attached Files:

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I know you don't want to hear this but you should at least make an attempt to find out more info about the original owners. For all you know they could have been stolen. If your MacBook was stolen, wouldn't you want someone to return it? Plus, if they are, I'm pretty sure it would also make you in possession of stolen property.

I would see if I could recover any names or info from the hard drive, and return them. The issue here is, you don't know the story behind them. They could belong to two kids who worked day and night to save up for them, only to have them stolen when they left their dorm room unlocked; or on the reverse it could belong to kids with wealthy parents who just got really intoxicated. The fact that you found them in a pair really makes me think it was theft related, as college dorm room thief's are usually opportunistic and just walk down the hall looking for open rooms. For all you know, the thief could have gotten spooked and just dropped them.

3. simsaladimbamba, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Maybe there is an entirely different story how these Macs got where they got? Just because you think of the simplest explanation to validate your decision, doesn't mean, that that is the reason they were out there. But who knows, it could be an Occam's razor in the end.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Because how someone treats their computers nullifies their right to keep their property. Give me a break:rolleyes:

Why should anyone help you?

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Hey Kyle,

You DID call the police first thing right? No, huh? Instead of asking us for advice on how to restore MBP's that are not yours you can still do the right thing and turn them over to the police in hopes that they will be restored to their rightful owners. I hope that the owners have enabled the Find my Mac feature, be sure to have bail money ready if there is a knock on your door.

- David

----------

That makes you a thief and given the value of the MBP's it is probably felony theft in your state.

6. bimmerfreak0 macrumors member

You have no right to the property. It is readily identifiable to be owned by someone and if they catch you with it, you'll most likely be charged with larceny. (I'm not saying it will hold up in court, but do you want to deal with it). The issue is that a reasonable person wouldn't say "finders keepers, losers weepers". It doesn't apply except in "treasure trove" situations...Two macbooks in the snow on a college campus (while arguably are treasures) aren't "treasure troves" and therefore not your property.

You need to call the police. Seriously, before you get in trouble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_trove

"Finds of money and lost property are dealt with by other states through legislation. These statutes usually require finders to report their finds to the police and transfer to their custody the objects. The police then advertise the finds to try to locate their true owner. If the objects remain unclaimed for a specified period of time, title in them vests in the finders."

That is essentially the same thing I learned in property and criminal law...

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If I remember correctly, Felony theft in the US is anything over the value of $300.

8. driftless, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012

driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

States are free to define the threshold level from misdemeanor to felony within their jurisdiction and that amount varies from state-to-state.

9. kjritchie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've contacted my local police and they're going to help me with the situation. There, I did the right thing.

10. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

11. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

As tempting as it may be to keep them, you should go to the police.

You might get lucky - if the police don't find the rightful owners you may get them back at a later date.

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Good man. Who knows you may get to keep them if the 5 O can't track down the owners. Then MAYBE someone on this forum will help you piece them together.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Glad to read this. You might want to update the first post also.

They might have been stolen and then thrown away by the thief because he saw a police car or something like that.

14. Mikesus macrumors 6502

To the OP, you could act a bit less condescending, you basically came on here saying that you found property that you were going to STEAL and got a tude when folks didn't help you in that adventure.

Heres hoping that you actually did do the right thing, cuz its the right thing, and not cuz you thought you couldn't get away with it.

15. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

16. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I don't think he is serious, anyone who has any serious intent about keeping a stolen Macbook Pro wouldn't give us the backstory.

In any event, I would have gone about this very differently. I honestly would have just left them there. Wouldn't have called the police, wouldn't have picked them up, wouldn't have done anything. In this day and age in America, having good intentions just gets you in trouble.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

:eek:

I'd never leave innocent MacBooks in the snow all alone. I'd take them home, wash them up w/ some iKlear, run the apple hardware test and maybe diskwarrior if I suspect directory damage, then call the police or scour the internals for ownership.

Then once they found the original owners I would ask "so, where do you get your drugs?" because you'd have to smoke premium grade mary jane or X to do something so stupid.

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

And what if the owner had findmymac running and came knocking on your door and accusing you of theft?

Honestly, having good intentions is a noble thing, but I have nothing to lose if some careless individual loses his computer. Conversely, I have nothing to gain for helping him recover it.

I would have just left it alone, most I would do is inform local campus lost and found.

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

EDIT: Darnit, I just realized I replied to a two month old thread! Sorry about that. But since I'm here... OP, did the owners ever get their stuff back? :)

I once found an iPhone on the ground in a mall. It had been dropped recently, as the battery still had 95% charge and it had signal. I could have just kept it (I didn't even have one of my own at the time) but instead I turned it into the lost+found at the mall.

What goes around comes around. Karma really does exist, I think, and it operates subtly. Someday I might lose my iPhone, and end up getting it back because of someone who did the same thing I did.

I hope the owners recover their lost laptops. Who knows; there might be data on there that they need. I'd be immensely grateful if I lost my property and someone was kind enough to return it.