Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
One year, even six months would seem more reasonable, but eventually all items turned in as lost should be able to be claimed by the finder. I guess I'm just surprised that 30 days is all it took. At least it's better than some places where they might just say "tough luck.

I can only speak for UK laws, but here the law states found items should be given to the nearest police station. If they are not claimed within three months, the preson who found it becomes the owner with a police certificate.

During that time police check serial numbers, etc against stolen lists. Especially on high value items.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
German wikipedia says that, by law, lost and found offices are required to hold on to items for 6 months. After that, preliminary ownership is transferred to the finder. The finder is required, however, to transfer the item to the owner if requested by him during the three years(!) following the finding event.

Good look, though...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Are you kidding me! If you were the dummy who misplaced or lost over $4000.00 worth of gear, would you wait six months to a year to report it? I know if I lost that kind of gear, I would have retraced every place I thought I lost it and reported it the minute my dumb@#$ realized it was not in my possession.

Local authorities and lost and found places are just that, not STORAGE FACILITIES for lops who lose their possessions for safekeeping. Not saying the original owner was a lop for losing his stuff. Maybe he was insured or had another way of recouping his loss. Point is the OP did the right thing and is entitled to his claim. Don't blame the system!

Nobody said anything about giving people six months to a year to report it... please read carefully. What I said was it should take at least six months or a year before they give the stuff to someone who found it lying around... just in case it was reported stolen or lost to authorities somewhere. It could have been from a burglary, stolen from a store, taken at an airport or train station... many scenarios are possible. The owner could have reported it right away, but it depends on where he was when he noticed it missing. The gear could have easily been transported quite a distance, so how the heck would he know to go the that particular Lost and Found department by retracing his steps, as you suggest? Especially if they weren't his steps to retrace. Don't be so quick to judge... :)

Thanks FlosseR for shedding some light on what I was talking about...

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
I would agree with this case, Except I think the total is a tad more than $4000.00 ;)

I can only assume that whoever lost it was a tourist, and due to a language barrier, them having to leave the country, or for whatever reason, they felt it would have been futile to contact anyone.

Although I do find it a bit odd that the camera was obviously prepped for shooting (hence the camera, with lenses, in a bag), although no CF card was present.. Just makes me wonder why it was even there.

yea I thought so too, but the Lens was not Mounted...

and Sry I misspelled: 12Month I forgott the 2 ^^

I called canon, they told me to send them the documents I received from the Lost&Found office(as you already figured in Germany, its differrent ;) and they will give me Warranty, if the Build date was less than a year ago.... which obviously is not possible oO(i am so dumb i did not think about it xD)
But at least I will get a warranty card that proofs that the Lenses/camera are Genuie and whatnot , its always better to have them ..

Does anyone know a Place to get Original Packaging for Canon Products? :rolleyes: I want to sell my old gear :p (Canon 20D 50/1.8 some Sigma 24-70 HSM,....)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
So I found a 5D II + 24-70L 50mm 1.2L and the 85 1.2L all in a Camera bag with no hint on who it does belong to, also no CF card inside.... I Brought it to the lost & Found office, they said they'll contact me when nobody picks it up in 1 month, I also called canon but the Camera was not reported lost/Stolen or was even registered.. (I also registered it at the local Police station) :eek:

So today the Lost and Found Office Called, because Nobody picked it up, they said it belongs to me now :D:D:D
I also have a paper that proofs my ownership :) (it all legal yea!)

But my real question is, How can I figure out if the parts are still under warranty? and can I get a new warranty card , if I want to sell it some day?

maybe one of you knows :D

yea I thought so too, but the Lens was not Mounted...

and Sry I misspelled: 12Month I forgott the 2 ^^

I called canon, they told me to send them the documents I received from the Lost&Found office(as you already figured in Germany, its differrent ;) and they will give me Warranty, if the Build date was less than a year ago.... which obviously is not possible oO(i am so dumb i did not think about it xD)
But at least I will get a warranty card that proofs that the Lenses/camera are Genuie and whatnot , its always better to have them ..

Does anyone know a Place to get Original Packaging for Canon Products? :rolleyes: I want to sell my old gear :p (Canon 20D 50/1.8 some Sigma 24-70 HSM,....)

At this point things are appearing rather sketchy. I almost came to your defense yesterday as some others did, but your last post makes your first one highly suspect. You would have to commit two typos to write "1 month" instead of "12 months." Your English is obviously good enough that you know how to manage a simple pluralization.

So now you're saying that you tried to find out whether or not these items could still be under their one-year warranties, even though you waited for an entire year to get them back from the lost-and-found office? Surely the prospect of someday owning these items would have caused you in that length of time to consider that they would not possibly be under warranty if you ever got to keep them?

Essentially what you've told us is that you came into possession of about $7000 in camera gear, and now you would like to know how you can go about acquiring warranty cards and original Canon packaging.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
when you put it that way Phrasikleia it sounds rather bad, take the part of the lost and found office out of the equation and you have a very realistic scenario.

I actually called Canon, not germany but still, and they told me that they will issue warranty cards only based on receipt or proof of purchase, NOT based on manufacturing date as they have no control over the storage time in stores and warehouses. Also they will not issue a warranty card for lost and found items because they have no way of knowing what had happened to them or if they are not stolen. Now, they told me that they WOULD take the stuff and have them examined in their own labs and then issue a certificate that it is original canon gear but only if you send it in.

Take this with a grain of salt though as this info is not from Germany.

Now one more thing that made me wonder, how many Photographers do you know that, with equipment worth 7000 USD, do not do or have one of the following:
1) a CF card in the bag for backup and/or in the camera at any time
2) set the Artist or Copyright information on the camera?

suspect.. very suspect...or then I am just WAYYYY too paranoid...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Now one more thing that made me wonder, how many Photographers do you know that, with equipment worth 7000 USD, do not do or have one of the following:
1) a CF card in the bag for backup and/or in the camera at any time
2) set the Artist or Copyright information on the camera?

Not to mention that if this 5D Mark II was "lost" one year ago, then it was no more than a couple of months old at the time. So it wasn't something that was just sitting around unused.

Also curious to know why the OP ignored gnd's question. You would think that the story of discovery would be fun for him to share. I often see unattended bags sitting around somewhere, but I always figure the owner is somewhere nearby, so I don't go looking into them. Would love to hear how the OP found the bag.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
So now you're saying that you tried to find out whether or not these items could still be under their one-year warranties, even though you waited for an entire year to get them back from the lost-and-found office?
Except that you get (at least) two years of warranty in Europe. I'd be careful with accusations.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Actually 2 years is a EU directive but not applicable in all countries/companies.
As a matter of subject, the op said that canon would give him warranty if its one year or younger (the equipment).

If the warranty slip says 12 months, which it mostly does, then that is it. You can go to the consumer protection office and complain and they might get it through for you but I wouldn't hold my breath.
In the UK you sometimes get offers with 3-5 years warranty, but those are specific campaigns not the norm. Over here, you get one year unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise. You can get a second year if you know where to mention the consumer protection office but its not normal.

//F

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Except that you get (at least) two years of warranty in Europe. I'd be careful with accusations.

I'm stopping short of a specific accusation. The OP said nothing about a two-year warranty. My concerns lie in what he has said, which is inconsistent, and amounts to an inquiry of a suspicious nature.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Would love to hear how the OP found the bag.

I have to side with Phrasikleia here, she's a very thoughtful person. I haven't read any accusations here at all. Hopefully we can discuss things and express what our concerns are in a thoughtful way.

I also would love to hear this striking chapter of the story... which is missing from the story. So could you tell us? How, what date, and where precisely did you find this bag full of pro gear? With no CF card. What were the circumstances? From what you said in your last post, it must have been almost exactly a year ago.

Did you ever post somewhere on this photo forum in the months gone by that you had found this strangely abandoned treasure - it's actually fairly interesting news which would be of interest to those here on the forum if for no other reason that it's an interesting story, and photography related, but also because maybe someone here might possibly have known something... might have even lost the gear-- you never know these things. Also, as it was getting closer and closer to your one year date where it was looking more and more like you were going to get to keep the goods, perhaps you were excited enough about the prospect to mention it here - we love stories like this, and because that would have been an even more interesting photo related story. Not saying you actually were required to do this, but it's human nature and would have made the whole story more solid, more consistent - that's all.

Your first post really made it sound like this happened fairly recently. This conversation thread went on for several pages of posts, even discussing the issue of time quite seriously. Now you say it was it was actually an entire year before you got the gear. Yet you never mentioned that one little detail earlier, which might have prevented all the discussion of laws, etc... so I'm finding my self in the doubting mode even more than my first post. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong, but the story has holes in it. You don't have to, but you could clear up these holes.

Maybe you can provide the serial numbers here for the gear, and to online canon forums, if you haven't already done that during the year past. Sometimes doing just a little bit more than merely turning something in can be doing the right thing - especially since you are a photographer yourself, and a Canon shooter at that. That alone is a bit fortuitous--

So those are concerns that raise eyebrows on this story. I've lost photo gear before as I've mentioned, and seen how complicated it can be to recover -- but it does happen. The serial numbers are key here.

Anyway, here's hoping it was just a typo or two... but you can do a lot to clear this up -- it just sounds too good to be true (doesn't mean it's not true, just that it raises some doubts.)

Anyway, good luck.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Actually 2 years is a EU directive but not applicable in all countries/companies.
As a matter of subject, the op said that canon would give him warranty if its one year or younger (the equipment).
Since the OP is located in Germany, the situation is simple: you get two years of warranty (typically 12 months with the manufacturer and 24 months with the retailer). If the camera has been registered, you can find out where you can get the other 12 months of warranty. That's the minimum here.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm stopping short of a specific accusation. The OP said nothing about a two-year warranty. My concerns lie in what he has said, which is inconsistent, and amounts to an inquiry of a suspicious nature.
Your accusations were very thinly veiled. You assumed from your perspective that since where you live, you only get 12 months of warranty, that must be true for the OP as well. So from your perspective, it was non-sensical to inquire whether there was any warranty left if you have to wait 12 months.

Although I agree there are some gaps, if the starting point of his story is true, namely that he has dropped the bad off at a Lost & Found, there is no way he could have gotten it back earlier than mandated by law -- unless, of course, you've proof that you're in fact the owner. Lost & Founds are not places in the mall where you get back the shopping bags you've forgotten, they're part of communal governments.

I'm just saying that you should be careful drawing conclusions too quickly from your own perspective.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
sorry but I will ahve to disagree with you Oreo.
Garantie and Gewährleistung (german) are 2 different things though they might SEEM the same.
the first is depending on the manufacturer's rules based on the time of purchase and is not regulated by law. The latter is 2 years standard in germany but it does not come from the manufacturer, it comes from the vendor. The vendor in this case the OP does not know, so...

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
sorry but I will ahve to disagree with you Oreo.
Garantie and Gewährleistung (german) are 2 different things though they might SEEM the same.
First of all, a matter of translation: to my knowledge, the words `Garantie' and `Gewährleistung' have the same translation in English, and that's warranty. I'm aware of the distinction in German, though.

Second of all, I've said that you get 12 months by the manufacturer and 24 months by the vendor (I wrote retailer). How is that contradictory to what you say?

When you register some equipment (especially camera equipment for upwards of 6000 €), the warranty registration card often carries a stamp of the retailer. At least mine did.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
First of all, a matter of translation: to my knowledge, the words `Garantie' and `Gewährleistung' have the same translation in English, and that's warranty. I'm aware of the distinction in German, though.

Second of all, I've said that you get 12 months by the manufacturer and 24 months by the vendor (I wrote retailer). How is that contradictory to what you say?

When you register some equipment (especially camera equipment for upwards of 6000 €), the warranty registration card often carries a stamp of the retailer. At least mine did.
fully agreed with you. but the point of the discussion is that the OP doesnt have that card, hence he cannot claim the 2 year warranty. Canon would, supposedly, give him 1 year warranty but no way he can fix the vendor thing so he won't get a warranty, so the poster is not wrong. the Op also said that Canon didnt have a registration on file for the camera nor equipment (which is also a bit dodgy because for exactly the reason you mentioned, it would be the first thing i'd do with 7k of equipment :))

no hard feelings it still revolves about the swiss cheese story..

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Your accusations were very thinly veiled. You assumed from your perspective that since where you live, you only get 12 months of warranty, that must be true for the OP as well. So from your perspective, it was non-sensical to inquire whether there was any warranty left if you have to wait 12 months.

Although I agree there are some gaps, if the starting point of his story is true, namely that he has dropped the bad off at a Lost & Found, there is no way he could have gotten it back earlier than mandated by law -- unless, of course, you've proof that you're in fact the owner. Lost & Founds are not places in the mall where you get back the shopping bags you've forgotten, they're part of communal governments.

I'm just saying that you should be careful drawing conclusions too quickly from your own perspective.

For what it's worth, my permanent residence is in an EU country, so please spare me the personal attacks. The matter of there being a 2-year warranty is irrelevant, given what the OP actually had to say.

I have to side with Phrasikleia here, she's a very thoughtful person. I haven't read any accusations here at all. Hopefully we can discuss things and express what our concerns are in a thoughtful way.

Thank you, pdxflint. I appreciate your comment very much.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
For what it's worth, my permanent residence is in an EU country, so please spare me the personal attacks. The matter of there being a 2-year warranty is irrelevant, given what the OP actually had to say.
Saying that in my opinion you should be more careful with allegations of this kind doesn't constitute a personal attack towards you.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Saying that in my opinion you should be more careful with allegations of this kind doesn't constitute a personal attack towards you.

Since you seem determined to attribute an accusation to me, I'll start you off with some possibilities to choose from. Which one would you like to attribute to me? Take your pick:

1) He found the equipment but never actually reported it to any lost and found office.

2) Someone else found the equipment, and he is asking questions on their behalf.

3) He bought the equipment for a very low sum and believes it may be stolen, so he's going to sell it.

4) He stole the equipment himself and is now hoping to sell it.

5) Someone loaned him the equipment and then passed away, but he doesn't want the surviving family members to know about it.

6) He doesn't yet have the equipment, but knows where it is and is thinking of stealing it.​

I'm sure you can think of some accusations that are even more sensational. And yes, putting words in my mouth and then judging me for them is a personal attack.

I, like others posting in this thread, find the inconsistencies and omissions rather suspect, but that doesn't mean I'm accusing the OP of anything in particular. I was on his side until his last post. Perhaps his next post will bring me around to his side again. OreoCookie, I honestly think you're more interested in goading me than you are in the actual content of this thread, so if you continue, I'll take it up with you in a pm. I'm not the only person voicing concerns here.

More specifically on topic: the OP's question is how one can go about obtaining warranty cards and packaging for Canon equipment. I'll let someone else offer answers to those questions.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Since you seem determined to attribute an accusation to me, I'll start you off with some possibilities to choose from. Which one would you like to attribute to me? Take your pick:
I don't understand what you're getting at, I'm not trying to put words into your mouth. I understand even less why you're taking my posts so personally.

Let's just drop this and get back on topic.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I don't understand what you're getting at, I'm not trying to put words into your mouth. I understand even less why you're taking my posts so personally.

Let's just drop this and get back on topic.

The point is, she never "alleged" anything or "accused" anyone of anything, yet you keep cautioning her about being "more careful with allegations of this kind," or "I'd be careful with accusations," or "your accusations were thinly veiled," -- all your own words. Maybe you didn't put words into her mouth, but your intentions were clear enough - to suggest or imply what her statements meant, despite her own words to the contrary. Perhaps take your own advice and be careful with your own allegations... just a thought. Maybe now you might see why she'd take your posts personally. I would.

I agree we should get back on topic, but felt that needed to be said.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Frankly, I think the entire story is false, the only true part of it being that he owns a 20D. He stopped posting on here once people began to question his story.

He also has a more recent thread of playing around with a friends 1Ds Mk III in Spain. He posted images to his Flickr stream to prove it, but they were all taken with a G7. The only other DSLR images on his Flickr are taken with a 20D.

If you had "found" a 5D Mk II more than a year ago, as he claims, or hell, even a week ago, wouldn't you be playing with it ALL THE TIME?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.