Found a 1996 Performa 6300 sealed in box

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Keras, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Keras macrumors newbie

One of my coworkers was cleaning out an elderly friends home and came across a Mac Performa 6300 system (w/ monitor, etc) still sealed in the box. He wound up giving it to me, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I have no idea if this would be something of value, or even worth keeping as a collectors item. Any suggestions?

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Cool, with box collectible

I find the fact you say sealed in box kind of interesting. Are you sure it's not resealed in box? I would hope they used it. 6300's may go for a bit on eBay. A collector would enjoy having the box but they don't go for much. Same motherboard that's in the 6400 tower but less space for expansion, only one pci slot. It is kind of hard to find the processor cards that can go in these. I have a 6300 but I paid 10 dollars for it but no box.

3. Keras thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it's definitely still the factory seal. I'll post some pics next week (it was too big to fit in my tiny car). I didn't expect it was super valuable, but an interesting find. Part of me wants to crack it open and boot it up!

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

If sealed

If its actually sealed, and you do want to use it. Lots of pre work to do.

The square on board battery has probably leaked all over the motherboard, if it hasn't it will soon. A couple of screws and the motherboard slides right out. Then check to make sure none of the capacitors on the motherboard are leaking, lots of issues there due to age. If they are leaking they need replaced. Then after you get an adapter for the db15 to VGA monitor (or get and old apple monitor) you should be good to boot.

If your gonna sell it leave it sealed.

5. Keras thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool - thanks for the heads up. The monitor is in the package as well; it's a giant box!

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That machine is not a PCI Mac, it is a NuBus one. Physically, the board is the same as the 6400, but it isn't as well designed. The 6300's board is basically a 6200's board with a 100/120Mhz 603e. Because of this similariaty, they're usually thought of as one of the worst Macs ever made. Their 4.5 volt batteries are not prone to leaking expect in extreme cases as Rayovac designed the battery casings very well. I'd be more worried about the possible inclusion of the Apple remote's two AA batteries. But not all 6300's came with an Apple remote, most didn't. The capacitors on mid 1990's boards are still good and have about 5 years left in them. They're more robust that the 1980's boards as not as failure prone and the bad batch ones made in the early half of the 2000's. I suggest leaving it sealed.

7. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

I might be wrong

One of the 6300 series had a pci. Maybe it was the 6360 ill have to look. As for the capacitors they are all suspect due to age. Use or no use. The cube style battery is better than the short barrel battery on compact macs but a twenty year old battery is a twenty year old battery. All those parts are common failure points and good to notice before powering on. At least we agree he should leave it sealed :)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Power Macintosh 3600 160Mhz had one PCI slot, the 120Mhz version did not. The Performa 3600 only came in 100Mhz and 120Mhz versions, both without a PCI slot.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

NISP (New In Sealed Package) is always worth more...

10. Keras thread starter macrumors newbie

Photos of 6320CD Sealed

As promised, photos. Know of any folks that would be interested in this? I'm fairly certain that my wife will not allow me to keep it.

Attached Files:

11. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Wow, a whole 16mb of ram. Pretty good for 1996.

Neat item!

And I think only the 3630 had a PCI slot...

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Too rich for my blood - plus you'd have to triple box it to protect it and that means high shipping costs.

Better off going to a local collector that can pick it up...

if you're around Chicago... ;)

13. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Very cool find. First Apple was a Performa 6116. Probably the same time period. If the elderly person was anything like my parents that computer came from Sears :cool:

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Clarisworks!:eek: What a great find....I wonder why it never got opened? Maybe they won it in a competition or prize draw...I wish I lived nearby...Be interested to know what happens to this in the end. Keep us updated!

15. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Not implying anything about this particular thread .. but .. just in general:

How many people ever look at the *bottom* of the box? :)

16. Keras thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional Pics

Good point! I never even examined the bottom of the box (it weighs a ton). Here is a photo of the bottom, as well as a photo of the original pick-up slip.

Attached Files:

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Customer phone number. :eek:

But wow, late August 1996!

18. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Pretty amazing how much technology has changed in 17 years.

19. OSMac macrumors 65816

Somehow to me the story here is not about the sealed Mac, it's about the elderly folks who own it.

Maybe you should contact them and set it up for them, I am wondering why they never did?

Or offer to help them sell it and give the proceeds to them?

20. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

21. tekno macrumors 6502a

I never understood why the CD Drive was so set back in these Apple machines. Always looked like a bad design decision to me.

22. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Those had a nice form factor, but in their day, were considered "Road Apples"as LowEndMac used to call them. Basically, with their slow bus, limited upgrade options, etc., they were crippled from the start.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was also some sort of conflict with the ports of some sort...

But, considering that somebody getting it would just be as a collector, I'm sure it would be worth $50 to somebody. I just don't think anybody is seriously collecting Performa 6320's.

23. napabar macrumors 6502

napabar

Unbelievable! The Performa 6320 was the first new Mac I ever bought! It served me well for 2 years! Can't believe this has never been opened!!! If you were local to Indy, I'd take it!!!

24. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Cool find man!

What ever you do, DONT open it!

The value is in the factory seal. As far as value i would put it at $500-700.

A few months ago i sold a similar performa with the box and all packing materials but opened for $450.

Anyway good luck and let us know what happens to it. :)

25. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Wow I'll be damned. That's amazing, I just love time capsule stuff no matter what it is - cars, computers, electronics, whatever. That's just awesome! But who doesn't open a new computer?