found a 52mm lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Drag'nGT, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I came across a 52mm prime lens in a pawn shop the other day. I had a look at it and I'm intrigued that I can't find any info on this online. I didn't jot down additional details because I was a little let down it wasn't a mk1 50mm like I thought when I first saw it. But it's a solid, metal body lens so it has build quality going for it.

Anyway, is this a lens you could clean up and use on a DSLR? I could probably get it cheap but it's worthless unless I know what it's capable of or if it should just sit on the shelf.

Thanks!

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

post pictures of the mount so people can tell you what bodies it fits. I would be very surprised if only 1 52mm lens was ever made.

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

4. Drag'nGT, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Okay, so I got over there again today and realized that this was some kind of macro lens with a Canon adapter. No clue who really made this.

[​IMG]

However, I found this down the street attached to a 35mm EOS 750. I'll clean it up in a minute. :)

[​IMG]

So I have thrown this on my 50D and took some shots. Now for the questions.
    > On the Mark 1 50mm how loud should the AF motor be?
    > Should the manual focus ring not move even in the AF mode? Honestly the ring spins freely at all times but does function properly in Manual mode.
    > Can you send these in to Canon to be rebuilt/cleaned? Who would you recommend?

Picture quality: I'm not sold on it at the moment in terms of the 'sharpness' I heard about. What it has proven is that it can take photos in my house with little to no light and the photos look like there's more light in them than my eye said there would be.

This will be a good indoor or night time lens.

Thanks guys!

5. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

- the 50mm is known for a noisy AF.
    - Yes
    - Yes, but it is not worth it as a new lens is sold for less than $90. (f1.8)

The 50mm is nice for it's price but once you start noticing the corner sharpness (almost to none) and overall sharpness to almost any other lense (1.8 is not really usable, it starts at 5.6 or so)... you'll look out for a better upgrade. The 1.4 is better but the bokeh is really fugly.

6. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Thanks. I'm glad the noise is normal. I paid $40 and it seems to work just fine. I still think my 28-135 is my favorite lens so far. But then again I haven't played with any L lenses. I haven't noticed how soft it is at the edges probably due to my non full frame camera.

I couldn't find a new one for less than $90 and the last time Amazon sold it for $90 or less was Jan this year. In fact, I just saw this mk1 lens sell on eBay for $127. I browsed craigslist as well but it was a hassle.

7. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

An MK1 has a metal bajonet (fitting) much more durable and worth the money.