Found a brand new TiBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ptdebate, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Well, practically brand new. There are zero signs of wear (no damage to the paint or marks on the plastic), and according to the seller, it was briefly used for one project and then returned to its original packaging, which is how I will receive it when it ships to me. The battery is original from 2002 and still (allegedly) holds a charge. I imagine it must have been stored fully charged, because otherwise the battery would have degraded over time whether it were used or not.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is what I payed for it :( -- 328 dollars plus $40 for expedited shipping. It's a 1GHz model so I'll use it for running all the best OS9 software with ease :).

Do you guys think I overpaid? Again, this is a near-virgin piece of Apple tech; maybe one of the few TiBooks in existence still in pristine, out-of-the-box condition. Even the box itself and all the interior packaging look like they stepped out of a time machine. The power supply is even still wrapped in plastic.

Then again, this is an "obsolete" piece of hardware with its share of design flaws (slow system bus and plastic frame, for example). I know I'm going to love it and do a lot of productive work with it, but I could have bought a beat-up old 17" c2d macbook pro for what I spent!

2. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Even though I think I'm known for "expecting low prices on PowerPCs", I think that you did pay a decent price for it, considering that it is essentially, near brand new. It is very rare to find an old computer that is mint condition with its original packaging. Normally you come across people selling rather "poor" condition PowerBooks and such for $150+ and they often seem to come without power adapters too. People usually sell the brand new ones for way more.

As for the battery, I won't be surprised if it holds a good charge to it. My PowerBook G4, has its original battery and I can easily get 4 hours out of it. And it's an 867MHz 12" G4, so it's from 2002 as well.

3. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I recently saw a brand-new, never opened, in the box, with EVERYTHING, 12" 2004 iBook G4 go on eBay for over $1,000. It went pretty fast, too.

4. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Value is in the eye of the buyer, if you're satisfied with what you bought enjoy it. I myself was given a 1ghz model as well but it was kinda trashed and the hdd was taken out as well as the battery and the connector to the screen was a bit damaged but for free what can you expect! It's a really nice ppc mac, enjoy it!

5. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Thanks! I can't wait until I get it. I don't usually do this sort of thing, but I may even make an unboxing video for the 'Tube :cool:.

6. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Would be interested in seeing a vid! :)

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the battery still worked. I have 2 TiBooks and they have better batteries than any other Apple portable I've owned. Both are originals, and work great. I'll be totally honest, thats a ton of money for what it is, but you got what you wanted at a price you were willing to pay, so thats worth it to you. I really love my 867MHz Ti, so I'm sure you'll have a good time with the 1GHz version. If the condition is as you described, it is very likely you'll never see another one like it, so you just might have a gem worth holding onto.

8. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Figured I should go ahead and post some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Beautiful machine! I would love to find a pristine 550Mhz like the one I bought new so many years ago.

10. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Wow, that is beautiful. Have you received it yet or are these the seller's pics?

11. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Seller's pics. I should receive it in a week or two :)

12. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton