Found A Browser That Is Possibly Faster Than Safari

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by DeathTheKid, Jan 14, 2014.

1. DeathTheKid, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

DeathTheKid macrumors member

DeathTheKid

I was playing around with Puffin Web Browser, which, like a lot of IOS users, use it for Flash. I decided today to run it through Sunspider, which is a Javascript benchmark. :eek:..I got 263ms. Safari for me only gets around 770ms. Most alternative browsers (w/o Nitrous) get in the 1000's. That's insane! I have screenshots, but I am at work right now, so I'll post them when I get home.

I knew it fast and stable, but I didn't realize this.

The one other thing that I like is you can pull up an onscreen mousepad, it also has an on screen game controller, and you can pull up the keyboard anytime you like.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Fast and Safari...now that's not how I describe Safari. :)

I'll have to try puffin.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's because Puffin uses external servers to speed up the browsing experience.

4. DeathTheKid thread starter macrumors member

DeathTheKid

Right on the money!

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

To put it more precisely: what you see on your iDevice is just a Web browser running on a remote desktop-grade server. This is why it's far faster. No local code execution is done and, in general, Puffin (and all other server-based solutions) are NOT recommended, unless you need to play back Flash / Silverlight and the like.

6. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Why not? I would guess that it has something to do with security and privacy, but I was hoping you might have a more complete answer. Thanks.

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It's indeed better at executing scripts / running Flash. However, at scrolling / page loading speeds, it's slower. Also, it's definitely more pixelizated, particularly over slower connections when dynamic adaption is enabled.