Found a dead pixel

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frazer19, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Frazer19 macrumors member

Frazer19

I have had my iPad for 3 days and I swear this dead pixel has come from nowhere what causes them to appear and can I fix this if not what are apples policys on this can I get a refund or a swap? thanks for help anyone.

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

You should be able to get a replacement no problem.

3. Frazer19 thread starter macrumors member

Frazer19

Does that count for a whole year, because if more pop up then will deffodo that. Also does anyone know how dead pixels are caused and what to do to fix or prevent them? Thanks

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You should be able to get a swap easily at any Applestore in the city EXCEPT Soho. For some reason, my experience and the experience of others is that store is very reluctant to give out replacements.

5. Frazer19 thread starter macrumors member

Frazer19

It seems like a lot of faffing it is just one pixel, but it keeps getting on my nerves whenever I see it. But when I hold it 2ft a way i cant see it. How do they come out of nowhere like that and I got my iPad from London so I'm not sure if refund will be ok in newyork or do they deal with them?

6. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

A- dead pixels cannot be fixed
    B- apple usually won't replace unless you have at least a few, there have been cases of them being replaced if it is in the middle of the screen, otherwise rumors have said that you need at least 3-4 to get a replacement

7. hss1 macrumors member

1 dead pixel

1 dead pixel out of 2359296 Pixels on your Ipad screen is nothing really. your screen resolution is 1024 X 768 times this by 3 for Red, Blue, green and you get 2359296 pixels.

Dead pixels can happen at any time, as the 2359296 pixels flick on and off between red, blue, green to make up your picture the pixel structures can sometimes fail and get stuck making a dead pixel.

Apples dead pixel policy is the same as manufactures such as Sony they will replace if there is more then 5 in the size of a 10p coin

==============================================

8. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Really? You can get a replacment iPad for a dead pixel? Wow! I've had one for ages. (not sarcasm)

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

You found a dead PIXIE!! Well bury it quickly---- Oh PixEL, well then,

never mind. :D

10. UCF Sam macrumors regular

You might be able to say 2359296 SUBpixels, but there are only 786432 pixels on the display. If one (of the three) elements of the pixel are damaged then the entire pixel is ruined as it cannot render colors correctly anymore. Also, he said a dead pixel, not a stuck pixel, so it's likely that all 3 elements(subpixels) are out.

I'd say, if you're still in your return date any you're unhappy with it get it exchanged while you can.

11. TIO macrumors newbie

TIO

That had been my experience as well... until I called them a couple days ago about a stuck pixel on my iPad 32 WiFi. I have one pixel stuck on blue, which isn't a huge deal... it's on the edge of the screen. I'm not too freaked out by one stuck pixel, but wanted to make sure of their policy before deciding if I was going to return it to the retailer I bought it from. The tech support person I spoke to assured me that if anything wasn't working as I expected, I could send it in during the warranty period and they would fix it. I specifically asked if that included stuck or dead pixels, and she repeated "anything". She stated that if they were unable to repair it, they would replace it with a new unit, not a refurb. This surprised me, as it wasn't the answer I expected.

I've still got 3 weeks to return it to the reseller if I decide. I'm giving it a while so I can see how much it bothers me. If it doesn't, I won't return it. If it does at all, though, I'm going to exchange it. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an expensive techie device to be "perfect" out of the box.

12. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

just found a dead pixel on mine too, got it yesterday as well. not so happy at all. it's near the top half of the screen :( hopefully i can get it changed when go back to london.

out of curiosity, how long is a warranty? 1 year? because I bought mine from HK 2 days ago and since they have no official apple stores there(all resellers), i'm not able to get a replacement there i think.