Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Disabling location services fixed my battery drain issue on the iPhone 15 pro, and brought the device to a much cooler temperature

Previously system settings was using location every 2 seconds

I had only these enabled :

• shortcut and automatisation
  • compass
    Attachments
  • Find my

Thatā€™s a temporary Ā« fix Ā» since obviously location is needed for everything nowadays

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 561

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
The arrow ? I mean the arrow only reflects whatā€™s happening on your phone

Turning it off wonā€™t change the battery drain or location access, it simply wonā€™t tell you when it happens
i know it doesn't change battery drain but haven't really discovered much drain.
Just noticed the arrow everytime I unlocked my phone

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Does this only affect the Pro and not the Pro Max? I have a Pro Max and is doing great on battery and heat management

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Does this only affect the Pro and not the Pro Max? I have a Pro Max and is doing great on battery and heat management

Might not be the case for the OP, but I have a hunch that most peopleā€™s heat/drain issues have to do with the all of the stuff the phone is doing right after setup.

My 15 PM did get hot Friday evening when I was playing Minecraft with my kids. I played again yesterday for about the same amount of time and it got slightly warm but never hot.

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Yeah it sounds like it. I have most of the system service location buttons turned on and I havenā€™t had a problem with drain or heat.

Have you tried resetting your network stettings? That might resolve the problem.
I didnā€™t reset network but I did reset location and accessibility

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Problems. That's iPhone. :)

Anyway, thanks for info and hope this is only a software issue that Apple -- for some inexcusable reason has not detected during production and testing -- will fix soon.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Battery life with iOS 17 on my 14 Pro Max has definitely taken a hit. I donā€™t think this is a hardware issue; iOS 17 is just still buggy. Same reason I have yet to update my iPad.

Reactions: StudioMacs

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Look. If you have heat issues, IMHO you should return your unit. That will put some pressure on them to do something about it. Itā€™s good that people bring it up in a forum but it wont effect their profit. People returning will. Only then will they react. iPhone is premium product that shouldnā€™t have this kind of issues. Itā€™s simply unaccetable. I donā€™t care if itā€™s a software bug or hardware issue. Apple shouldnā€™t get away with this. We Apple users buy Apple and pay premium price because we want the best. I expect nothing less.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Battery life with iOS 17 on my 14 Pro Max has definitely taken a hit. I donā€™t think this is a hardware issue; iOS 17 is just still buggy. Same reason I have yet to update my iPad.
I had massive battery issues on the first couple of days on my 13 pro but it has settled..

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
Look. If you have heat issues, IMHO you should return your unit. That will put some pressure on them to do something about it. Itā€™s good that people bring it up in a forum but it wont effect their profit. People returning will. Only then will they react. iPhone is premium product that shouldnā€™t have this kind of issues. Itā€™s simply unaccetable. I donā€™t care if itā€™s a software bug or hardware issue. Apple shouldnā€™t get away with this. We Apple users buy Apple and pay premium price because we want the best. I expect nothing less.
Agreed! If itā€™s broke then make them fix it

Reactions: AppleEnthusiast1995

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Thereā€™s an easy way to handle the bad thermals and battery drain. Skip the A17pro this year and get the IPhone 15 plus with the A16 bionic. TSMC had low yields this year and Apple accepted the garbage to get scale, 3nm was not quite ready for prime time. Next years A18 pro will be legit

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
It doesnā€™t seem to be an issue with the unit sadly , more so with iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.