Found a loophole in Apple's educational discount!! Get $100 off without giftcard!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by obiwan2222, Aug 1, 2012.

1. obiwan2222 macrumors newbie

I found out a way to get an $100 off extra educational discount without getting that pointless app store giftcard off any mac!

Well this was purely all accidental and nothing of this was planned out before but I thought I should share it anyways.

I ordered a macbook pro retina on apple.com website using the back to school promotion for a $100 gift card free of charge. So I went ahead and ordered the computer along with the gift card.

Since the wait times for the computer is 1-2 weeks, apple doesnt charge for the computer until they ship it. They first charge you $100 for the gift card, and then once the computer is ready to ship, they charge you the price of the computer and subtract $100.

Today while I was looking on apple's website I noticed that you can finally upgrade the cpu on the base 2.3ghz macbook pro to 2.6 or 2.7ghz. So I called them today and wanted to change my order to get a 2.6ghz upgrade from the 2.3ghz. However, this was not possible because the computer already shipped and I was charged for the computer minus the $100 gift card.

So finally, what they did is this. I told them I was going to return my computer to the apple retail store once received and reorder my computer later on. The guy refunded my $100 gift card and deactivated it. All was good. I was going to return the computer to the apple store once received, but then I thought about it a bit more.......

Since my $100 gift card was already refunded, the price of the computer charged on my credit card was the normal price minus the $100 gift card. So I get an additional $100 off on it! So, technically Im not obligated to return my computer back and they would never find out and know that I took an additional $100 off from the computer without getting that stupid app store giftcard!!:D

That is how I received a $100 education macbook pro retina discount without getting the STUPID gift card!

2. detroitl macrumors newbie

I think I'm misunderstanding something. Isn't the $100 gift card free? Why would they charge you for it?

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

They charge you $100 for the Gift Card but discount the price of the computer by $100, so the net is that the Gift Card is free.

5. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

Hmmm....Interesting this is a pretty good find. Although I think there are 3rd Party retailers selling the RMBP it for far less if you spend some time shopping the web.

6. obiwan2222 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think that you get it. The point of this is to tell you how to get $100 off a macbook without getting that stupid back to school app store giftcard.

7. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

its not really stupid to get a gift card with a new computer. if your buying your first mac for school it will be come helpful so you can buy iWorks, MUSIC, and other apps that could be helpful for school or your could buy aperture or put it towards final cut pro.

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Yes, please free me from $100 free dollars to use in the app store.

I get it just fine.:rolleyes:

9. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

This only happened because the Apple rep refunded you the price before you returned the computer. So therefore the Apple rep screwed up. This will be hard to accomplish if trying to do it intentionally, because most Apple reps wouldn't make that mistake.

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No, you do not 'get it just fine'.

Nobody's freeing you from $100 free dollars. You were charged $100 for the gift card, then received a $100 discount from your computer's total price to offset that cost. OP got his gift card deactivated (and thus got the $100 he paid for the gift card back), resulting in a $100 cheaper MacBook.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

12. arliu macrumors regular

Or try best buy! They will price match apple with 100 dollars off instead of the gift card!

13. Boiler macrumors regular

200 student discount AND 100 off?
    Sure?

14. obiwan2222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whatever the case may be, and I still got a good price because I got this $100 off from the giftcard and a additional $200 off from educational pricing.:D

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If you had the choice of a gift card or saving cash of the same value, nearly everyone is going to want the discount instead. They may never need/want to spend the gift card.

16. obiwan2222 thread starter macrumors newbie

x
    Exactly the point. :)

17. TibookAktive macrumors member

I see what you're saying and I'm sure that it would work. But basically the outcome of this is to convert the $100 gift card into $100 cash off the laptop price.

So totally accept that cash is better than a gift card of equal value, but I'd argue the majority of apple users buy quite a lot through apple/itunes (mac app store apps, peripherals off apple.com, music and films through itunes, iphone apps / ipad apps if you have one of those things, etc) - so seems quite a complex way to receive the cash given that you'll prob spend that cash with apple in the near term anyway.

In your case it made sense as you wanted to upgrade anyway, but without that think of the steps - phone apple, wait to speak to someone, cancel the order and get refund, then when it arrives trek down to a retail store and swap. And this will only work for base models, no BTOs as not stocked at retail.

So fully get cash is better than card, but utility of cash over card not worth the effort. IMO.

Thanks for sharing anyway.

18. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Maybe light weight users. I'll burn through a $100 in apps in about two weeks.

19. IPlayFair macrumors member

@ obiwan2222

Like you said, your action was unintended. Anyone else doing it intentionally would raise an ethical issue for me.

20. arliu macrumors regular

@ boiler

yeah bestbuy will price match basically gives you 310 dollars off the retail price.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This story is going places, can't wait until part II - "I bought a Mac and they didn't give me a $100 gift card!!"

22. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

I don't get how you gained 100 when the education discount is already taken off at time of purchase and the gift card is free money.

So you're saying you received 300 dollars off for education discount right?

Am I missing something here.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

($100+$100) -$100 = $300?

The math looks solid to me.

24. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I want the 3.5 minutes back that I spent reading this steaming pile of a thread.

25. gentlefury macrumors 68030

so you're going to keep the lower spec rMBP just to scam an extra $100 off? Can you really afford this thing in the first place?