Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snazzybunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
I found a new mbp16 8 core, 2 tb, 32 gb, 5500m with 4 gb, applecare+ for 3250usd. Should I just get it or wait for next 2020 version with wifi6?

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Wifi 6 is overrated and they are already talking about a wifi 6e version which I'll hold out for that ratification if they are already onto the next best thing as it sounds like they know the next version will be where it's at. And I simply don't see the benefit in Wifi 6 just yet (yes I've read the spec sheet) but are you going to have like 1-3 devices that can use it and for what realistically?

Until I see the benefit in buying a wifi 6 system, which I don't, I'm not even worrying about it. Let them iron the kinks out of things first. 5G cellular is more of interest to me TBH.

Reactions: soulreaver99

SMC23

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
I would just get it. The savings would outweigh the marginal 13-15% improvement we can expect in the 10th gen Intel CPU’s.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
I'll care about wifi 6 when Apple makes a TC again and cares about wifi 6.

Isn't that price like a grand off? get it now, not sure where youre getting that deal if its truly new and sealed.

htnt7919

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
if you don't need a laptop now then wait. You could shave $1000 off by the time next update come out .

snazzybunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2017
Yea it seems legit the guy doesnt mind me testing it out first. I think if the new ones come out i still need to pay tax etc. Wifi6 and the new avx instructions, you think it will make a big difference?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Yea it seems legit the guy doesnt mind me testing it out first. I think if the new ones come out i still need to pay tax etc. Wifi6 and the new avx instructions, you think it will make a big difference?

I don't think you'll notice the lack of wifi6 and avx instructions. The thing is a screamer as it is and I really am hard pressed to think of Wifi 6 being a reason to hold off. It'll bring nice benefits when it does arrive for the MBPs but it's hardly a make or break when Wifi 6 is barely out there as it stands today.

Reactions: baypharm

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
And mini led? That probably wont be out for a while right?

Years away from hitting the MBP. Hasn't even hit TVs yet or anywhere else that's mainstream. The current crop of 15"ish OLED displays are not great either with max brightnesses of 300-400 nits and much higher overall power consumption.

The MacBook Pro line is, in general, due for improvements to the display - but where technology is at a whole makes me think we're not going to see it for 2-3 more generations if not more. I find my 16"'s display to be great after disabling True Tone and automatic brightness. It seems to throttle the display's max brightness with those settings turned on, but with them off it's a true performer. Not much different from my Late 2016, but that also had a great display.

Reactions: baypharm

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would not spend $3,250 on ANY "used" computer.
For that money, I'd buy new or at least "Apple-refurbished".

Reactions: Nacho98

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Wifi 6 requires the computer and the Access Points to support Wifi 6. Have places you frequent upgraded their Wifi access points recently to the 802.11ax standard?

Reactions: impulse462

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Years away from hitting the MBP. Hasn't even hit TVs yet or anywhere else that's mainstream. The current crop of 15"ish OLED displays are not great either with max brightnesses of 300-400 nits and much higher overall power consumption.

The MacBook Pro line is, in general, due for improvements to the display - but where technology is at a whole makes me think we're not going to see it for 2-3 more generations if not more. I find my 16"'s display to be great after disabling True Tone and automatic brightness. It seems to throttle the display's max brightness with those settings turned on, but with them off it's a true performer. Not much different from my Late 2016, but that also had a great display.

MicroLED is the one that's years away. MiniLED could be this or next year according to rumor i thought?

I agree with what most everyone here is saying though. If you need the computer now, get the one for the deal that's available to you. Getting it for that much off will ensure much less of a loss on your end if you trade it in later too. Unless Apple does magically drop a MiniLED screened 16" this year, it'll basically just be a minor CPU bump and Wifi 6. I personally don't think that's worth waiting another 6 to 10 months for, especially when a great deal for a great spec-ed 2019 16" is right in front of you.

The configuration you have the option to buy now is normally about $4,400 including Apple Care ($370) and tax (another $400, i used my location to estimate tax since i don't know your location/tax rate). So you'd be saving about $1150 buying from this person compared to buying that same config new from Apple. That person is offering you a steal (kinda makes me wonder why they're getting rid of it and for that price considering how much of a loss they're taking on it). I personally would jump on it (assuming it all checked out and nothing was wrong with it).

Last edited:

Jitensha

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2019
There isn’t a single WiFi 6 router that isn’t problematic or riddled with firmware issues. Ask yourself: Are you waiting for the standard or are you waiting for reliability? I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one.

Reactions: DanMan619
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.