Found a (partial) solution to the Exchange lock screen issue

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by gwerhart0800, Mar 1, 2013.

1. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I posted a while ago after using a Nexus 4 for a week (switching from an iPhone 4). One of the iPhone/IOS features that I used a lot on the iPhone was the lock screen notification display. It was easy to glance at the screen to see of the notification was for anything that I needed to respond to.

With the implementation of the Exchange service in Android, I was unable to use lock screen widgets because of the security settings of the Exchange link. Basically, I had to enter my passcode to be able to pull down the notification bar to see what the notification was about.

Yesterday, a co-worker told me about "Divide". This app allows you to separate the "Exchange" account to a separate "VM" like entity. This way, the security for the Exchange account is maintained separately. (Meaning, you enter the pin when you "switch" to the Divide VM that has the Exchange integration.) This "frees" the normal appearance from the Exchange security requirements and allows me to use lock screen widgets.

As an added feature, Divide provides a web interface that allows you to track your phone and perform things like a remote wipe in case it gets stolen or lost.

Best of all, it is free.

2. outz macrumors 6502

i looked into this solution... our company is toying with the idea of requiring encryption, phone lock etc. a lot of divide reviews revolve around slowing the phone down, using lots of resources... hopefully you have better luck with it.

also, i believe touchdown will do what you want... altho not free, and ugly.