Found a security flaw on lock screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bk3318, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bk3318 macrumors newbie

Hi not sure if someone has found this already, but I have a pin and finger scan set for my lock screen. It has been working fine. However, when you are in the lock screen and bring up the camera, it opens up the camera and when you hit the home button it givers you full access to the phone. I am coming over from Android so maybe I'm doing something wrong with a setting for the lock screen? lol

2. Pochi Hanaki macrumors regular

it is reading your fingerprint when you hit the home button. Not sure if you are trying to be funny.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Are you using the 5s?

You are likely pressing the home button with the same fingerprint which authenticates Touch-ID, which is normal procedure for unlocking your phone. Try replicating this with another finger whose fingerprint has not been stored inside. You will be sent back to the lock screen.

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Are you sure that Touch ID isn't registering your fingerprint when you press the home button? It may be exiting the camera and very quickly logging you in.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

6. bk3318 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol you guys are right. I tried with my other thumb and it does not give me access. User error.

7. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

IIRC, this USED to be a security flaw though when they introduced the camera from lock screen feature.

8. bk3318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks, I am coming over from Android so didn't think that my thumb was being read when I hit home from the camera.

9. Rlong405 macrumors member

It's just that fast that you don't realise it is reading and authenticating your fingerprint. I've upgraded from the iphone5 and I'm very impressed with the touch ID

10. Zxxv Suspended

you aren't the first and you won't be the last so just laugh :)

11. noobinator macrumors 601

This is what happens when things work as good as, or better than, they are supposed to! :cool:

12. r-m macrumors 6502a

It also reads it when you activate Siri from the lock screen. I remember asking it to open an app, and it did straight away. Again I thought it bypassed security. Turns out it'd read my finger print as soon as I activated Siri.
    Tried an unregistered finger and it didn't open the app. :)