Found a stray cat - ideas (already have 2)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kellen, May 31, 2010.

1. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

So the GF and I have been feeding a stray cat for the past 3 or 4 days. We have lived here for over a year and never seen one, so they aren't just running rampant. its living in the garden/lawn between 2 condo areas. It isn't anyone in the condo development or if it was, I wouldn't return it to them as it isnt chipped, spayed or well fed.

Now we need to do something with it. Max amount we can have is 2, which we have. Not trying to keep it, but trying to figure out other ideas that work out best for the cat and my distraught GF who doesn't want it killed and wants it to live a good life

So far we have thought of
    -friends
    -no kill shelter
    -keep it and not talk about it.

My concern keeping it isn't people finding out, as people just mind their business here. It would be if we move in the future. Has anyone moved with 3 animals to an apartment/condo rental, seems like most max at 2 pets.

We thought of just feeding it outside, but with the weather here during winter we weren't so sure about it, we got feet of snow last year. Plus some lady who was feeding it said that they poisoned a stray she was feeding years ago.

Thanks.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Find an adoption/foster group. They're the best for finding good homes. I got my 2nd lab from a foster organization and he's amazing and so were they.

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The best thing to do is have capture the cat and have it spayed, then released back into the area. From what you're describing, it's mostly a feral cat. Feral cats will never, EVER make a good pet since they see humans as just another threat. Think of them as miniature tigers.

We've a colony of feral cats where I live. They s*** in my wife's potted plants. (I stopped that by sticking kabob skewers in the pots. The cats ain't gonna find another litter box if its old one keeps jabbing it in the @$$.;)) I looked up the best method of dealing with feral cats. They said capture, spay and release. Brought a live capture trap and have gotten half a dozen of them spayed already. I've seen the number of cats reduced recently, possibly by PO'ed home owners who're doing alternative methods of population control.

5. kellen thread starter macrumors 68020

kellen

Its not feral, but not spayed either, we think its domestic because its not skittish and likes people. Not anyones in the area either or if it was, they would not get it back after it being malnourished, neglected (ticks, fleas) and not spayed. I would just spay and release, but we live in a gated condominium and some lady said they killed one stray they found here.

Well I guess thats all for nothing as we decided to keep her, as I talked to the manager of this condo and she said 3 animals is fine. She doesn't want 3 pit bulls or large dogs, but 3 indoor cats are of no concern for her.

So we took her to the vet today and lo and behold the cat is pregnant. So she is getting spayed tomorrow and then we are bringing her home.

6. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Seriously?

7. djellison macrumors 68020

This..

PLUS - a rescue centre may well let you foster the cat whilst they're looking for a home for it. They'll also get it checked over, shots/fleas/worming done etc.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

9. kellen thread starter macrumors 68020

kellen

We are keeping it.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If such a thing exists, I would strongly recommend a feline abortion. There are plenty of cats out there in search of a home without bringing more into the world.

At the very least, channel the kittens through an adoption service that can make sure that those kittens won't be in the mother's situation in a year or so.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Yes. Seriously. Eat it. Kill it, skin it, throw it on the bbq and eat it. I was serious.