found a time capsule hooked into my computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by colormacform, Apr 19, 2010.

1. colormacform macrumors newbie

Hi, I found a time capsule :apple: (router/hd) hooked up in-between my modem and my computers. From what I read on the spec sheet of the time capsule is that whomever controls this device could actually see my computer from anywhere including my emails and hard drives. It is true? I do have a lower OS, 10.4.11, and I can't access the capsule via time machine, not to mention I don't have the password to see what's on it, but can this device actually be storing all my info/data on the capsules hard drive? :eek: Or would I need a higher level of OS for this to keep my info.

Does it store data from external HD that are hooked up to the computers that are hooked up to the time capsule?

I would most appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

- "Found a Time Capsule" :confused:
    - "Don't have the Password" :confused:

If you're talking about stolen Apple products this is absolutely NOT the place to talk about it.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You mean that one day you just "found" it there, having not put it there yourself???

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Please explain how you "find" a Time Capsule.

5. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't understand how there's a time capsule that you weren't aware of.... is this some sort of roommate situation?

Anyhow, no, 10.4.x isn't capable of running Time Machine, which is the feature that automatically backs up your files to the time capsule.

6. colormacform thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I "discovered" a time capsule installed in-between my modem and my computers. It is not stolen property. I know the person that put it there. An individual that had my complete trust. When I found it, (some 30 days after this person left this location, I did a search to see what the device was, I learned what it was capable of. I do not have, nor was ever given the password to access the device. I confronted the person who installed the drive, they insisted it would not "copy" my files since I do not have the latest OS. The person stated it was only used for it's router functions that it would not copy my data to it. However recently, quite coincidentally, I refused to give some files freely to this individual and feel they may have figured out a way to give themselves the information they wanted without the need to ask.

When I asked for the password to see the data stored on the device, the person blew their top and they refused to let me see what is on the drive for fear I may see their "info", but it was plugged into my computer, not theirs. I was taken to court for not returning the device. I offered arbitration that a 3rd party would view the drive to see if my files exist on the HD of the router and they still refuse. Instead threatened to "destroy me",....And I would like to know if I had a right to be suspicious. I contacted the authorities and they recommended I put an injunction on the device until it can be determined if my data is on the device, since it is hooked up to my internet service and computers.

I read via the specs that this unit will need a higher OS to control, but that it would back up all data from all computers it is hooked up to. (or can set up to be) and with the higher OS is capable of being controlled via the internet.

Do I have any right to be suspicious? Thank you.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

2 things:

1. You overreacted, big time.
    2. Give him his router back. He doesn't have your files. You have to allow that.

8. drunifex macrumors member

Agree

Paranoia big time

9. colormacform thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the specs, the unit backs up all information from any source that it is connected to.

I asked this person, "so, if we see what's on the router, none of my info will be there?" and was explained, "you were plugged in to it". Which means to me, it could have my information on it.

I read it is also accessible via online.

Why did they leave it here if it wasn't intended to "collect" data?

Forgive me for over-reacting, but I'm confused.

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

You don't say it explicitly, but I am assuming this is a business location and not a home location. If this is true, you are not overreacting and you absolutely should go the injunction route. And you should get legal advice on whether you can have it completely erased before this person gets it back (or even if you have to give it back at all). If they were your employee, you might already own all information created while at your site (at least in the US).

Depending on its configuration, data stored on a Time Capsule is accessible online. If you are running Tiger (10.4.x) it will not auto backup to the Time Capsule thru Time Machine, but if this person was able to install a cron script onto your machines, they could make a poor man's Time Machine that works on Tiger and then access the Time Capsule online.

11. colormacform thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a business situation.

thank you immensely for your help.

12. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

He doesn't have Time Machine preferences since he's running Tiger.

OP: It seems you should be perfectly entitled to having the drive erased before returning it.

It's kind of like Judge Judy for the net age :rolleyes:

13. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

really? Can you point to a description of where you found that?. ANY source? I don't think so. And even if you had the right OS level, which you do'nt, you still have to configure it to work from your Mac. Your Mac pushes, rather than TM pulling.

14. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

First off, the simple thing to do is disconnect it.

Second, if your worried he has "made a copy" of your mac on it, even if you don't have the password to change the setting on the thing, you should be able to tell if your back is backing itself up to he device cause you would se/hear it doing it, and you should be able to open the drive on the device to look for the sparcebundle file or what ever of your HD and delete it.

Third, if as you said, "he just plugged it in" between your computer and your modem, presumably your modem is your router. Unless he was able to access your modem/router settling (because you didn't set a pass-word on it) then your router is allocating the IP's on the network and the Time Capsule is in bridge mode, so re would not be able to access your computer remotely.

One thing I would ponder if you really don't trust the chap, has he set up a WiFi network so people can take free advantage of your internet connection. That seems like the most likely threat to you.

Oh, and I would also consider changing the Admin password on our computer just in case.

15. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

If you are worried that this TC contains copies of files that you don't want anyone else to see can you not simply open the TC replace the HDD with a new one. Then return the TC to it's rightful owner?

doris

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you sure it's even a Time Capsule and not an Airport Extreme?

17. chill. macrumors 6502

to replace the hdd you have to rip off the rubber underside, it is not a very clean job

plus it means you have to buy a new, compatible hard drive

18. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...a large magnet would take care of this whole problem:p

3rd party arbitration should do the trick but it will take some time...

19. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

A new compatible hard drive?

Surely an e-sata HDD is an e-sata HDD. They are all compatible and jolly cheap, and who cares if the OPs TC surgery isn't perfectly neat. It isn't his TC.

That way he gets rid of the tosser who is causing the problem and know all his files are safe.

doris

20. chill. macrumors 6502

the hard drives used in the time capsules are specific "green" types that produce less heat, not just a standard hdd

and the actions you're suggesting pretty much amount to theft. if you left a laptop at a store, would you be happy getting it back with all the innards ripped out and replaced?

21. fthl macrumors newbie

If you are really worried, and are facing legal problems, I'd just buy a new one and give him that, and keep the existing. Got to be cheaper than injunctions etc.