Found an affordable 256GB SSD on Craigslist. How do I test this out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by petrucci666, Apr 18, 2012.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

petrucci666

There's a listing for a 256GB SSD for MBA close to where I live, he's offering it for $200.

It's not dirt cheap, but still it's fairly cheap. How do I test this out to see if it's not something faulty or fake?

He also sent me a photo of it and it will fit into the MBA because it apparently came from an MBA.

All my Craigslist dealings have been positive so far, never had trouble.

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I saw the same thing here in SF ... turned out it was the slower SSD from the first-gen MB Air, and it was pulled from a MB Air, and had no warranty or return policy.

If you have a 128 or 64gb, why don't you just buy the 256gb and then sell the old model? That's what I ended up doing. I got the 1.8ghz brand new on CL for $1200 and sold my 1.6ghz 128gb for $1050, so $150 net upgrade cost. Obviously YMMV but it's possible if you look hard enough, especially end of month when people get desperate to make their rent, lol

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

You could get a drive enclosure to plug the drive into to verify that it works, but the only one I found was expensive...

Micro SATA Enclosure at OWC

If you already have a SATA enclosure that you can use, there is an adapter:
    here

Using such an enclosure would allow you to connect the drive to your own Air via USB and verify the size & that everything is at least in nominally working order.

Or you could just talk to the seller. Probably bought a brand new Air and then dropped in a 480GB replacement drive like this one - although why would you buy the 256GB from Apple if you were planning to do that?

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Exactly. I'd bet it was the original slower SSD, or something pulled from a dead (ie water damage) MB Air. There's no logical explanation as to why someone would be selling a current gen 256gb drive

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Maybe they bought a SATA3 480GB drive from OWC and are trying to recoup some of the cost.

6. hawk1410, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Wait, are you from Atlanta? I think this might be my listing, i can assure you it is real. Lol, what a conincidence

I've been negotiating with over text, might be you, the story surely sounds similar.

EDIT: Asked the guy i was talking to, he's never heard of macrumors, was just a coincidence, or OP is lying to me :p

7. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

petrucci666

Nope, not me. I'm in San Francisco, the guy selling it is in San Jose.

Didn't end up buying it, I can suffice with 128 for now and my external HDD. Once (if ever) the MBA SSDs become cheaper I'll be buying it from a credible source.

Selling a 256GB SSD for that cheap won't really help recoup the cost but it's not out of the question.