Found an Interesting Problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by clion, Sep 21, 2008.

1. clion macrumors newbie

Hi!

I recently installed Leopard on my G4 MDD 1.2 Ghz desktop. The machine booted fine after installation, so I proceeded to do the software update. It's when I restarted the machine, I found this interesting problem...

Upon reboot, there was this flashing graphic on the screen. It's a picture of the world. Yes, you heard me right: A flashing full-color graphic of the world. The system does not boot into OSX, however.

Thinking that this could indicate that (maybe) my Mac was trying to boot off a network, I restarted and held down the "Option" key. That led me the familiar menu where you select you boot drive(s). I selected my start up disk -- the only bootable drive I have on this system -- and I still got to the flashing world.

I put the machine in firewire mode and re-installed Leopard from my Macbook Pro. (I could not get the Superdrive to open.) This time I did a complete disk erase and re-install. I restarted the machine without doing a software update, however, I still find I'm running into this flashing graphic of the world.

I can't recall if anyone knows what this means on any of the boards I've viewed.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!

2. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Have you tried letting it run it's course? Some Macs, if no net drive is found, continue booting off the drive.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The flashing globe is a netboot icon -- the icon that shows up preliminarily if no drive is up and available is the folder with a question mark, AFAIK.

Take a look at this and see if it helps:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=990

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's trying to load the kernel from the netboot server. It should resolve into either the spinning gear or the prohibit symbol.