Found an Iphone 3g in the streets- passcode enabled

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RookieF, Oct 11, 2009.

1. RookieF macrumors newbie

Ok so i found this iphone 3g in the streets that has the passcode enabled. I already have an iphone 3g so it is useless for me to have another one. How do i get through the passcode to get into the iphone to access the contacts list so i can call "mom" "dad" "home" or something to return the iphone. I plugged it into my computer and it says it is "_____ ______'s iphone" and i facebooked this name and no results have showed up. I have googled and the only way to bypass this situation would be to reset the iphone which will delete all data, or jailbreak it with the risk of bricking, and unable to revert back to original APPLE unbroken state. Which under the situation, i dont want to return a ****ed up iphone.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're just trying the find the owner, ATT may be able to assist if you give them some info from the SIM card.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you live near an Apple or AT&T store, they can probably help you in person as well (and good on you, btw).

4. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

You could also give an Apple Store a call and they will be able to find the owner from the serial number! as long as it has not been sold on before :D they could contact the owner on your behalf due to customer confidentiality and pass on your details so the owner can contact you? Worth a try!!

5. CCRGMac macrumors newbie

In another thread of the opposite persuasion (poster wanting to keep and use a password-locked found phone), someone suggested double-clicking the Home button. If this is set to bring up the Favorites list, apparently it'll do it even when password locked.

I don't use a password myself so I can't test to see if it works, but it's easy enough to try.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I just tried it on mine (running the latest version) and double-pressing the home button didn't pull up favorites when it was locked. I think that was an issue with a prior version.

7. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Bring it to an Apple StorE

The right thing to do is bring it to an apple store. THey can then make sure it is put back in the hand of the owner. It's kinda messed upi saying, I already have one, so I guess I dont need another. They can track you very easily with mobile me and have the police show up to consficscate it. Do the right thing. Also I am pretty sure there is some type of reward for bring in into the Apple store. If not, I'll give you the gas money for you to take it to the store. PLease do the right thing, Imagin what what happen if this happened to you. You would be devistated without your baby.

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I agree with your post, but just wanted to say that AT&T's really the best at putting it back in the hand of the owner.

AT&T can look at the SIM and determine the current owner. All Apple knows is who registered the phone (if it ever was registered), and that may not be the current owner.

10. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

x2...i think this is a wolf in sheep's clothing.....

take it to the ATT store.

Or, since you have a 3G, take the sim out and put it into your phone...call your house, get the cell number. Call ATT and tell them you have found this person cell phone and want to be a angel and return it.

However, i really doubt you will do this and i think you just trying to get into a locked phone.

11. emilreevehowe macrumors newbie

This happens

I know this is an old thread, but I found it...
    This happened to me, and it bums me out how everywhere I look people just call the person a scumbag. I found a phone, password protected, at my job. No one ever called it, that I know of, (it was sitting in a lost and found) two weeks went by, no one ever showed up. If I could get in to the phone I would call contacts. I would love to see the look on the person's face while I hand them the phone they thought was gone for good.
    I called my local Apple store, and they said, "they're might be some things they could try." I said, "might? there's no system in place?" And the guy said, "Not really." Makes me think it'll just end up in the pocket of an apple store employee. Who better to know what to do with it. Probably gonna try next time I have a day off anyway, but this question is NOT necessarily from a scumbag!

12. AppleFanBeast macrumors newbie

AppleFanBeast

Call tech support 1-800-MY-APPLE and have them log the case so that if the owner calls trying to locate it, they can have ur information!