found an iPhone 6S completely submerged in water

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigjnyc, Dec 29, 2015.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Walking to work this morning I stepped over a puddle of water and from the corner of my eye caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a white iphone, after doing a double take I took a closer look and sure enough it was an iphone under the puddle of water.... after picking it up and looking at the back I noticed the S.... I tried turning it on with the power button but the screen remained dark (i know I know everyone says you shouldnt try turning on a phone with water damage but I was half asleep) Anyway i threw the phone in my pocket and brought it in to work, dried it up with a paper towel and plugged it in to my charger. To my surprise the red battery icon pops up and a few minutes later white apple. the phone comes to life and long story short I eventually got a phone call from the owner who was a really cute european girl here on vacation. Anyway I met up with her for lunch and returned the phone which seemed to be working just fine.... and the kicker is that she lost the phone the night before while out partying... I'm not sure at what point it started raining but the phone must have been out there in water for quite some time.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Well. That is one way to real-world test the improved water resistance.

Lucky for the girl. Cool experience for you! Win-win.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You have a ton of respect for doing the right thing and actually meeting up with the girl and returning the phone to her.

4. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yeah it was never a question, I just think about how I would feel if I lost my phone and would want someone to do the same thing.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Great job bud, honesty and integrity always pay off in life.
    Not sure how long the phone will continue to work for her till it dies from corrosion but you did the right thing. We need more people like you in society.

6. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I've seen more reports about this being the case (submerged phones coming back to life) than those dying; granted, I am not looking terribly hard just bropwsing forums. First few cases I read I figured it was a fluke, but I am really starting to wonder just how water resistance these devices are. TheApple watch can stand full submersion too (just not very deep water due to pressure) for an extended period of time, though of course there are no open ports on that device. Still, makes me think a lot of the tech that went into waterproofing the watch likely made it into the 6s series. Not having to worry about water is always a plus. Now we just need antigravity for shatter ristance :)

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Awesome job. Nice to hear someone being honest and then having the luck of the owner contacting you. Great job and hopefully something good is coming your way.

9. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

10. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Respect for doing what you done. Things like this shows that there is hope for humanity.

Now I'm not sure what your situation is but if you were to now start texting each other and then dating while at the same time having a long distance relationship and then get married.

Then I could see the film rights sold, and the film made and at the end of the film you have twins would be a perfect Hollywood film.

Again massive respect for doing what you done and now get texting!!!!

11. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Not sure what pictures would have shown, it looked like any other iPhone 6S.... I didn't think to whip out my camera and take a picture of it lying on the ground in water sorry.

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Maybe he meant pictures of the cute european girl....

13. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

That's what I was taking from it.

14. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

This is such an adorable response. That girl missed an opportunity.

15. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

aaaah ok lol that totally went over my head! I wish I had she was definitely a looker, but unfortunately was flying to Boston the next day then home from there.

16. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

17. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

When out enjoying the 6th Street in Austin I found a iPhone. It was was locked I kept it charged and the person who lost it called the next morning and they where already back in San Antonio and I was headed back to Home. I told them I would drop it in the mail for them. Sometimes doing the right thing is better

18. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I completely agree. I have firsthand experience of losing a phone, it's not a fun experience. Luckily for me somebody was honest and returned the phone to a Verizon store (my current carrier) so I could pick it up. Since then I now go out of my way if I see a lost phone, I've only had the chance once but if I'm able to in the future I will. Great job!