Found an iPhone, what now?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by travisalexander, May 23, 2012.

1. travisalexander macrumors newbie

Hello all.
    I'll preface this with saying I have been an iPhone user for many years and I have no desire to keep this second iPhone.

I found this phone at work. It was locked. I kept it on for 3 weeks and no one ever called. It still has service. The voice control does nothing. It is essentially useless. I brought it into Verizon and they told me they don't contact the person who originally had the iPhone, nor could they supply me with directions for how to return the phone.

So here I am with a 16 gig iPhone 4 and no clear sign of what exactly do with it... Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to toss it?

Can I legally sell/give it to a friend? I don't know what an ESN does or why this phone still has service but no one has tried to contact me. I essentially have a locked wifi-ready 16 gig iPod touch.

I REPEAT- Verizon wouldn't take the phone and didn't have any answers.

Thanks everyone.

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If I found a phone at work, I would turn it in to the workplaces main desk, lost & found etc. The person who lost the phone would most likely look for it in the places they were at the day they lost it.

3. travisalexander thread starter macrumors newbie

And yes, I could contact the police but I have a sinking feeling I'd have the phone back in a matter of 60 days.

----------

I am the lost and found, no one came back for it

4. 184550 Guest

Best part of the thread.

5. bjy24 macrumors newbie

found iPhone

some police departments will (if time allows, if officer is resourceful) contact the company to find out who owns the phone. Sometimes it requires that a police report is filled out-either a "lost" or a "found" report...you can do a found property report, and it is possible for police to track the owner. It is possible the person who lost it has filed a police report, as that is what is necessary if they were to make an insurance claim...
    In any case, if you were to do that report, and turn it in, either the person who lost it will claim it, or you can do as you wish with it.

6. migdaddy macrumors 6502

Thats mine!!!! Go ahead and mail it over.

Nah...just seems that you made yourself $200

7. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

8. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

How about sending it to the police first and see what happens after 60 days?