Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cos54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Hi; I recently found a 1G iphone that looks like it was thrown from a vehicle. It's pretty beat up but does power on. Is there any type of master reset that will allow me to open up the unit for leads to the Owner? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If you take it to at&t (or call them), they can trace the owner from the SIM card, IMEI number, or Serial Number. Or connect it to iTunes, and it should tell you the phone number.

TEG

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
If you take it to at&t (or call them), they can trace the owner from the SIM card, IMEI number, or Serial Number.

TEG

If att refuses to give you the owners phone number at least, I say just keep the thing. The reason for this is because even though YOU want to the do the right thing, Att or any other cell phone carrier for that manner may not. They will probley make you send the phone to them or acually just tell you to keep it (Had this happen to me once, not iphone though.) Now if u send them the iphone chances are they will just recycle it and the owner will never see the thing again.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If att refuses to give you the owners phone number at least, I say just keep the thing. The reason for this is because even though YOU want to the do the right thing, Att or any other cell phone carrier for that manner may not. They will probley make you send the phone to them or acually just tell you to keep it (Had this happen to me once, not iphone though.) Now if u send them the iphone chances are they will just recycle it and the owner will never see the thing again.

at&t will contact the owner, and you are better off taking it into a store.

TEG

cos54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008

That's exactly what happened, they will not give out the info, and with the condition of the phone pretty much said keep it.

Are there any master resets that allow you to look at the phones contents, the phone has been bricked by ATT.

jdmstar

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
That's exactly what happened, they will not give out the info, and with the condition of the phone pretty much said keep it.

Are there any master resets that allow you to look at the phones contents, the phone has been bricked by ATT.

Plug it in attempt a backup then restore the firmware and restore the backup which should just leave you with the contacts.

i would just restore the firmware. and keep it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.