Found an ipod, contacted Apple...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by UltimoDuckman, Dec 15, 2011.

1. UltimoDuckman macrumors newbie

So I found an iPod touch this last weekend and called Apple. It's password locked, but when I hooked it up to my computer it was labeled "Noah's iPod." Apple said it was registered to a business one state over, but only an address. No phone or email and they couldn't share any of the info with me. I gave them MY contact info to attach to it in case it's reported lost. The guy at Apple said I could take it to law enforcement but it's likely it'd disappear or end up in a box.

Is there anything else I can do that anyone knows of? I can't find a way around the passcode online. I'd hoped there would be some contact info inside, but I seem to be out of luck. I'm also keeping my eyes peeled on Craigslist Lost and Found. Anyone have any other ideas?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

First off, congratulations on your honesty and attempts to return it to its owner, I am glad there are people who are willing to do that.
    What I would do is go onto yellow pages and search the address as you said it was registered there and hope that there is a listed number.
    You could put up a found add on Craigslist but that is a long shot.

3. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. You tried, so after some time Id say it would be ok to keep it.

4. UltimoDuckman thread starter macrumors newbie

That's where the problem is. Apple says they aren't allowed to share a registered owner's address with me. He said he wanted to help point me in the right direction but couldn't. That's why I didn't mind them taking down my info just in case.

And honestly, I couldn't think of NOT returning it. I had an iPod stolen once and it was awful.

5. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

6. mohammadkm95 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wait…so you do have the address?

7. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I'd hold on to it and hope that Apple or the owner contacts you. If you hand it in it'll just end up on a shelf for 2 years until someone finally sells it in a police auction. At least you're making honest efforts to get it back to the owner.

8. UltimoDuckman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusion, I do NOT have the address. Apple said it was registered to a business in the next state over (Minnesota).

9. negativzero macrumors 6502a

There is a way to unlock the iPod Touch so that you can look through the details. OP, if you need any help with this drop me a PM cus I can't really disclose the method of doing this publicly due to ethical reasons.

10. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Found an iPod

Hi,

First of all I agree with all the others, you are doing the right thing.

My question is, why can't Apple contact the "suspected owner" and give them your contact information? I can understand them not giving it out to you.

Just a thought. :)

11. GeniusJon macrumors regular

You're an amazing person. I lost my iPod on vacation and hoped that a kind hearted person would look through my stuff and find a way to contact me. Never happened tough... :(

Good luck with your search! :)

12. appleofmy"i" macrumors regular

appleofmy"i"

Im in the same boat as you.....

I found an iPod touch in a parking lot in a local shopping center and after contacting Apple they said they would contact the owner and provide them with my information.....that was over a month ago. Im kinda lost as what to do next :(