Found an iPod Touch - St Louis

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Malsi, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Malsi macrumors regular

Hi everyone,
    I found an iPod touch in my cab today and I was wondering if there is anyway to get the original owners information off of it. I think it's the original 1G iPod touch, and it has a passcode when I try to unlock it. Does the touch even have a contacts app like the iPhone? I've had people lose their iPhones in my cab before, but I've always been able to text someone on the contact list, usually the number listed mom or dad, and have been able to return it. I'm just at a loss with this touch. Also, if you think you own the iPod touch, PM me with what the screen saver it has on.

2. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I thought this was going to be a thread asking about how to find out the real owner and return it to them. I was dissappointed.

If you have a change of heart, I would call the local Apple store and tell them that you found an iPod touch and I'm sure they can sort out who's email it is registered to and return it to them if you dropped it off. If there's nothing they can do to return it to the original owner (and you haven't contacted the cab company to see if anyone reported one lost), Apple might be able to reset it for you and you would have at least done the right thing.

3. ajones46 macrumors 6502

What do you mean you're disappointed? He is trying to find the rightful owner?

But yes OP, call the cab company and notify them that you found an iPod Touch, and also try contacting someone at an Apple Store. They might be able to help. Other than that, there's really nothing else you can do.

4. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I didn't realize my wording was so poor. I am trying to return it to the owner. I already own an iPhone 3gs. I have no use for a first gen touch. I also know that I could connect it to iTunes and restore it, but that would erase everything, and I didn't want to lose a chance at getting a contact number. Thanks for telling me about taking it to the apple store, I would do just that, I just didn't think they would try to return it. Anyways, thanks for the information.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Thats a tough one, your heart is in the right place OP but unfortunately I don't think there is a way to return the touch to this person, given the circumstances. I highly doubt the Apple store thing will work but you can give it a shot. Your best bet is to wait a while and see if anyone calls the cab company to report it lost.

6. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

Yay! Someone understands me! Giving it to the cab company is the same as telling the owner that they will never see it again. They're just as corrupt as the downtown police here. I'll hold on to it for three more days just invade the owner frequents this site. That way if some one claims it's theirs we could met at a local Panera or something and unlock the phone infront of me to prove their ownership. If no one responds, I'll just take it to one of the apple stores here. Thanks again!

7. bucnayked macrumors newbie

found ipod

i also found an ipod touch, call apple and let them know you have found one
    give them the serial number and they will email the owner with your information

i did this two weeks ago when i found one at my school:D

8. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

Great, I'll do just that! Hopefully I'll get this resolved soon. Someone should really make an app that reveals the owner of an ipodtouch/phone contact info on the lock screen. It would make times like this easier.

9. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

For the record this was very clear and easy for me to understand your intentions.

That would sorta defeat the purpose of a passcode though lol... :)

10. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

:D I'd didn't mean to have the app display all information about the owner, silly! Just maybe a message like " if this device has been found, please call XXX-XXXX or mail to XXXXXX. It would be more of a sure fire way to have owners stay owners of their products. It's rather awkward trying to snoop around someones iPhone and figure out who would be best to call. In the last year I had about nine people drop their iPhones in my cab. I was able to return them all because they weren't under a passcode. And luckily most had a Mom or Dad contact number ( the parents were never happy their drunk kid dropped an iPhone in a cab). Even an email would suffice, that way there would be no third party.

Oh, I also spoke to an apple representative about it, she said they had the owners name but no contact information. But like previous posters, she said that it's best to take it to an apple store so they can see if they can look it up, so I'll do that tomorrow before work!

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I simply put an address label with my name and address on the back of my iPod Touch. Anyone who finds it can easily find me.

12. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

That's a good idea.

It sounds like calling Apple might be the best way to go, but here's another idea:

Post on your local craigslist

By the way, I had no problem understanding your original post and have no idea how someone would be confused by it.

13. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

There's an App called BeepMyCell, and through a website online, you are able to send a non-stopping beep-beep to your iPhone, along with a message that is customizable from the website.

I've found it also works on the iPod Touch, as long as it is connected to Wifi - even though it has no vibrate and the first gen has no speaker - the message still displays on the lock screen. I have my contact info set to it, and the App is always on my iPhone, just in case.

There are also those who set the lock screen image to have their contact info on it. I do that too when I'm going somewhere I normally don't go, like NYC or some concert or something.

Just thought I'd get it out there. No I don't know the developer or anything. I just love it. I like feeling OCD-safe. :)

14. xStatiCa macrumors regular

Congrats for wanting to find the owner.

1. Contact cab company and have anyone that reported losing one to contact you.
    2. Contact apple and see if they can email/find the owner.
    3. Turn it into the police.

Step 1 will probably be all that will be needed to find the owner but even if that fails steps 2 has a decent chance of finding the owner. If that fails then turn it into the police which is what needs to be done if you can not contact the owner.

The correct thing to do IMHO was to tell the cab driver when you found it. What if it was his and he just let someone in the back look at it and forgot or his kids from the night before left it in the car? Hind site from a third party view is always 20/20 or something like that :).

15. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

It isn't?

I would hate trying to live up to your expectations....

16. martynmc7 macrumors regular

17. Malsi thread starter macrumors regular

Found The Owner!!!!!!!

Wooohoo! I found the owner today! It was a stoke of luck actually! I am parked here in front of the Four Seasons Hotel hoping for this dreadful cab line to start moving and all of a sudden someone walks up to my window. I recognize the person as one of my previous customers from a couple of days ago.

Anyways, he comes up and asks if I found a cell phone and iPod touch in my taxi and I said yes. To be 100% sure he was the owner I made him unlock the iPod touch before I gave him the cell phone. Then I promptly had him type a contact number on notepad, took a screenshot of it, and made it his screensaver.

This made my day. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

18. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Congrats! heh I wish we had more people like you in the world :)

19. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Psst....I think he IS the cab driver ;)

OP, glad to hear it all worked out well! The world needs more honest people like you!

20. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Cool story. I always think to put something identifying on my stuff, but put it off until its too late. I would put something in the notes app, but I lock my stuff too! :p

21. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

My apologies, I did misread your first post. Thank you for taking my mistake in stride. I've had too many negative experiences and I rushed to judgment, but this is refreshing. You made my day, truely. Congrats on finding the owner!