Found dust underneath iPod Touch 32GB screen. Advice on what to do?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by philthyfill, Aug 15, 2008.

1. philthyfill macrumors newbie

I went into an Apple store tonight and talked to a Genius Bar tech about the dust under the iPod Touchscreen. He said it wasn't noticeable enough for the iPod Touch to get replaced. The couple pieces around the corner of the the screen aren't too noticeable unless under sunlight, but there's the biggest one a quarter inch below the middle of the screen.

I tried showing the tech the big piece, but he said it's not significant enough to get it replaced. I requested to speak to a manager about the issue which he directed me to one. I told him my issue and he was more reasoning. He saw the big piece close to the middle of the screen and he was about to help me swap it out. He asked me if I bought it from an Apple Store, which I replied no. He told me he can't do anything about it due to something taking a hit in costs and/or inventory.

He said the warranty does not cover something "minor" as this. I tried to refute his claim with Apple's lack of QC on their product, especially on their flagship iPod model and warranty SHOULD cover anything, even small blemishes or imperfections that aren't caused by the consumer. He still said he couldn't do anything about it since there's no receipt. I was informed to call Apple Care to see if I they can help me out. I asked if they can replace it with a refurb, but he said they don't carry refurbished Touches.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm planning on calling Apple Care to see if they can take care of the issue, but was this store in the wrong? I see other posters on this and other forums walk in with an iPhone or Touch with the same issue and they swap them out with refurbs.

2. illusiveninja macrumors newbie

Dude, that sucks i would think that they would be nice enough to replace it for you.... i have the same problem but its way too little to worry about getting it replaced or anything.

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

If you're putting it in your pocket all the time then dust will pretty much get into any electronic device. Every Nokia I ever owned had the same problem, but then again that's what I got for putting it in my pocket. If you haven't stuck it in dusty places frequently then I'd try to get it replaced. Otherwise, well that's what happens.

4. philthyfill thread starter macrumors newbie

Paying for a product that's over 500 dollars and finding out that dust has creeped underneath the screen is unacceptable. It's shocking how this could've passed through QC.

5. illusiveninja macrumors newbie

FO SHO! your exactly right. its like having a Lamborghini and water leaks through the windshield. its not right