All iPads Found iPad Air 16GB for $400 on Craigslist.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gc15, Feb 1, 2014.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

So i have been thinking about getting a new iPad for myself, family has one, and I have been having a hard time trying to decide if I want the retina mini or the air. The baseline model is enough for me because i do not put music on iPads and only use it for certain apps, safari, netflix, youtube and reading. Also i may add, we have an iPad 2; so Im used to that size iPad and i will admit it does sometimes gets heavy after long period of web browsing, playing games, reading, or even watching a movie.

My new main reason to get an iPad though is for reading pdf files for my graduate program; however i am having a hard time trying to decide which one to get. Since i found this iPad air online and its the same price for the retina mini, I'm now in a tough spot. At first i wanted to get the mini because i believe i would like the size better, but i have not viewed pdfs on it, so I do not know how well that works.

Both devices would still be in my backpack so portability isn't a issue; the only issue I'm having is which one best performs for school work, but also relax time. To me the air would be better for school, but the mini would be for relax time; however, i have only used the mini in stores; so I could not tell you from a personal standpoint. Any suggestions since i found this deal?

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Whatever you decide, be careful, it might be stolen, ask for the receipt or something and the box

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's a fair price as they sell for $499 new. As the previous poster mentioned you should for purchase verification.

4. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Box and match the serial numbers. It's a good deal jump on it.

5. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

If I were you, I would ask the seller to meet me at a Apple store and have a Genius verify the ipad first before buying it. I would ask that it's legit and not stolen and make sure there's no water to it.

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I would wait, save the additional 99 bucks and get a new one!:apple:

7. Saltymac, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

Saltymac macrumors member

Buy new - warranty and you know how it was cared for. You can look for a factory refirb as in my experience they are as good as new. I use my iPad mini more than other Macs. It is handy and reading materials from it is an easy process. The air would give you more screen size. Choice of which one is really a personal decision.

8. 617aircav Suspended

For $400 might as well buy new or wait for apple refurbished. For $350 get it.

9. anonymouse99, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

anonymouse99 macrumors regular

If you're in a Micro Center town, come up with $60 more (+ tax) and get it for $460 (perhaps BestBuy may match it if you show them the link).

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?sku_list=880815+880773

Personally, if you're carrying it in your backpack, I would get an iPad4 which although heavier, feels a bit sturdier (I have owned or purchased all 5 gens, and the iPad Air feels a tad fragile for a backpack). Here is your iPad 4 (sale) link:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/404158/iPad_(4th_Generation)_16GB_Wi-Fi_Black

Good luck :D

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The price is good, not great. BB had it on sale already recently and it may happen again shortly there or elsewhere which in turn they would be forced to match and you would have a new one to try for 14 days.

11. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

Ill ask for seller; they posted urchases of the iPad unopened still in shrink wrap, but i didn't think about it being stolen or anything along those lines. Thanks for the input!

12. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy one unless you open it on the spot as well. My current iPad 3 I've had for over a year was purchased on Craigslist, so I'm definitely an advocate but you need to be careful!

13. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I'd second this. There was a news report here just this morning - there have been a string of Apple device sales where the box is shrink wrapped, but when the buyer opens it, there are potatoes inside. :eek:

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That would be my thought. It's only $100 savings and you don't know you are getting a legit item with a full warranty etc.