Found iPhone 2G with no SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amatatomba, May 23, 2010.

1. Amatatomba macrumors newbie

My brother found an iPhone 2G in a parking lot a few days ago, with no SIM card in it. It was pretty badly beaten up (bottom portion of the back is missing, screen is scratched) but in working condition. It was locked so he couldn't get into it to see any of the contacts and maybe find out who's it is. So he reset it. Now it just keeps saying "insert SIM card".

I myself have an iPhone 3GS and inserted it and plugged it into the computer. It wanted me to active it with AT&T. What will this do as far as my account goes (I don't want to be charged or have my own iPhone screwed up in any way)? I also have a SIM card from another phone that is still active, but I don't want that charged either.

And if activating it won't work without charging me or something, is there anything else we can do to actually get into the phone?

2. jlluna macrumors 6502

Do not activate it with your simcard, it will change your data package with AT&T, I have an iPhone 3GS and I took it to apple because it quit working one Day, and I just took my sim card and put it in my old iPhone 2g for the day,and when I got my replacement iPhone from apple and put my sim card back, I could not send picture text, had to call AT&T and get my data package changed back, it was a pain in the but.

3. ggogins macrumors newbie

I have put my sim in about 30 diff iPhones and have never experienced any plan issues.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

use a jb like redsn0w and it will activate it.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Lost iPhone eh? I would sell it to Gizmodo for $5000.

6. greemie macrumors member

This is true. If it asks to activate then do not continue. It will mess with your plan. If you stick it in and it actavates the phone ok, then you are fine. I believe you would need a sim from a 2G to activate it, or 3rd party tools will hactivate it too.

7. Amatatomba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I figured activating it with my SIM card would be a bad idea, glad I didn't.

I tried jailbreaking it using Spirit and couldn't get it to work, but I'll try Red Sn0w.