Found iPhone 4 want to return but has password

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asb396, Sep 1, 2010.

1. asb396 macrumors member

How can I get into the phones contact list without knowing the passcode so that I can call one of the persons friends and return the phone. Thanks for any help.

2. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

3. err404 macrumors 68020

Honest question; does Apple attempt to return lost phones? If anything, I would turn it in to the local police.

4. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Apple store. Or voice dial and keep trying people like "call mom, dad, sis, or whatever" (hold home button down - if enabled, it'll let you voice dial)

5. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm thinking everyone should make a contact called "Owner" and have it as your work/home or other important number. If you losse the phone and a honest person like the OP finds it, the Voice Dial would always have an easy goto number for peole to call to try and return the phone.

6. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

This would be a great marketing scheme for Apple if it really works. My guess is that one of the "geniuses" would steal it.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you have an iPhone 4, get the SIM out, put it on your phone, and make a call, get the number and report it to AT&T.

My guess is that by now the SIM would be deactivated, no this suggestion won't work. So all you got left is to go old fashion, poster, reporte to the main office of the place you found it, etc. Those places that the parson who lost it would come back and ask.

AT&T wont do anything without a Number, either would the Apple store, all they will do is keep in the store and maybe as someone mentioned someone at the store will take it.

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

that's why I use the "IfFoundPlus" app -- lets me put a name and number on the lock screen. It has my name and my wife's # (to call if someone finds the phone). This sort of function really should be built into the phone.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, it's part of MobileMe.

I know you have to pay for that, but Apple does have an option at least.

10. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Man, that's a pretty cynical view :rolleyes: I think if you dropped it off at an ATT store or Apple store they could easily find the ower (via the methods described herein) and would even ship the phone in a well protected case to the owner for free. Postive, potentially viral, PR like that can't be bought. No right thinking line worker would dare cop the device for fear of being caught in some "mystery shopper" sting.

Now my cynicism would be the OP fishing for ways to circumvent the PW so he/she could look at their boyfriend/girlfriend/acquiatance's information for some privacy violating reason under the guise of returning a lost phone. But that's just me ;) :D

11. Meyvn macrumors 6502

If the iPhone is registered and you can get access to the serial number, I *know* Apple can look it up and get it returned that way, since that's happened to me before with an iPod. Obviously it's possible if you took it to the store it could get lost in the mix due to a dishonest douchebag, but it seems unlikely if you make a big deal out of it to multiple people there, or if you specifically ask for the manager.

Another possibility would be to put it into DFU mode, restore it, and get the serial number to search for the person that way. But then, if they *didn't* register it, you'd have no access to their contacts and would no longer have a chance to find them. Either way, I think your first line of defense should be to *call* AppleCare, and see what they have to say. There might be some protocol in place for this specific situation.

12. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Does the SIM tray on IP4 have the serial number on it? This was the case on the 3G.

I used to have one of those HP ipaq PDA things and they could be set up to display owner information when turned on even before lock code was entered, would be a nice thing for iPhone and iPad.

13. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Best guess is indeed voice dialing. Just say "Call blabla" and than it will hopefully call someone (if the sim hasn't been blocked yet).

Do not bring it to the police station. They won't do anything about it. Apple won't do anything about it to. Best luck, I think, is AT&T in the hope they will be able to connect the iPhone data (IMEI number for example) to the owner.

14. mstrze macrumors 68000

The OP said this phone is locked with a passcode, so aside from swapping SIMs the repeated calling suggestions won't work.

15. molala macrumors 6502a

You'd think the owner would call his own iPhone! I'd keep it charged and wait a day or 2.

16. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Apple is not very helpful with finding rightful owners to products, even with a serial.

A few years back, I found an iPod Nano. Called Apple support and asked them if there was any way we could find the owner and give it back to them, but they said no, not really.

Hopefully they've put a system in place since, but I don't know.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Where did you find it? Did you contact the property (bar, etc) owner?

18. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Great idea. Wish i'd known that at the weekend when I found a 3G/3Gs.

On my own phone, I've always had a favorite called "home" that dials my landline. I don't use voice dial myself, but I just tried speaking "phone home" on my locked 4g and it worked a treat. Neat. :)

19. mikerr macrumors regular

Ouch.

So anyone picking up my phone can make random calls to my contacts?

Despite having a lock code ?

[edit] tested - yup its true - that sucks

At least you can turn it off in settings, but it defaults to on.

20. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

"E.T. phone hoooome."

Sorry. Someone had to. :rolleyes:

21. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

Where did you find the phone??

22. aluren macrumors 65816

Maybe wait for it to ring and pick up on whoever calls that phone?

23. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Where is this app? I can't find it in the App store or Cydia. Tx

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No doubt, I know I would.
    Just wait till it rings and let the caller know you found the iphone. Most likely the owner or his friends or family will call sooner or later.

25. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

They have not. Out of the clear blue one day around a month ago, I got an overnight Fedex delivery that I was not expecting. Showed the shipper to be Apple with me as the addressee. When I opened the box I was surprised to see an original iPhone in there.

I cannot tell you how many hours I spent on the phone with Apple, being transferred from one person to another, trying to figure out why they shipped me this iPhone.

In the meantime the phone wasn't locked and I went to email and found an email address. I then emailed the person from my desktop, asking if they were expecting an iPhone from Apple Care.

No one at Apple would tell me the owner of the phone, telling me that their record is not always up-to-date especially if the phone has been sold to someone else other than the original buyer.

Apple did send me a label and I shipped the phone back to them and gave me a contact name in case the owner of the iPhone were to answer my email.

Later in the day, I heard from the person I had emailed. He was sending the phone to Applecare for repair. He said they sent him the label addressed to me (remembered my name) but didn't question it thinking they knew what they were doing.

He thanked me over and over for sending the phone off to Apple and for giving him the contact name.