Found iPhone in taxi - help me return it to its owner

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AWShuttleworth, Feb 24, 2010.

1. AWShuttleworth macrumors newbie

I've just found an iPhone in a New York City taxicab (I picked it up off the floor thinking it was mine and was surprised, after I left the cab, to discover I had two phones). I'd like to return it to its owner, having endured the unpleasant experience of losing mine in a cab a few months ago.

I thought I'd be able to look through the phone book to find a name I could call, but no luck; the phone is locked with a passcode, so I'm not able to get into it. All I get is a first name.

Is there any way I can figure out who this phone belongs to and return it to them? The phone says it's running on T-Mobile, so I'm not sure who could help.

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

My apologies for not having a useful answer here as a reply, but I did want to mention how refreshing it is to have one of these threads start with someone trying to do the right thing, as opposed to the "hey i found an iphone and finders keepers losers weepers how do i unlock it" threads that seem to flood this forum.

So thank you, and good luck :)

3. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Take it to an apple store? They should be able to use the serial number to trace the owner? Or enter the 7864 passcode :D

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you take it to a T-Mobile store, they should be able to look at the SIM and tell whose phone it is.

Apple Stores will not get involved.

5. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Yup. Take it to the T-Mobile Store. They can call the customer.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Threads like this make me wonder what can I do to make it easy for someone to find me if I was the one who last the phone. I know it's probably a pipe dream that whoever found the phone would do the right thing like the OP...

Short of putting a sticker on the outside that says e-mail me here or call me here if you find this phone, what should you do to make it easier for someone to find you?

Do you add a contact titled "Me"? Is there some convention like the "ICE" (in case of emergency" contacts?

7. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I use an app called ifoundplus. The program allow you to put ur contact information in the lock screen.

8. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

1. Change your wallpaper to your contact details: If lost, please return to...
    2. Send a message to the phone via 'find my iphone' on Mobile me
    3. Add a protective case with a 'note' in it, that tell them to give your phone back

:)

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I would also contact the taxi company, someone may have already called them looking for it.

Good Luck.

10. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

Lost iphone

This was suggested in previous thread.... Take the sim card out of the iphone and stick in in another phone. Use it to call a line with caller display (caller ID). Note the phone number, and call it and leave a message. Of course it might already be barred in which case you are back to square 1, but if he hasn't cancelled it yet when he gets a replacement sim card and phone, or checks his messages, he'll find your happy news.

11. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

agreed, but don't hand it over ( can't trust people these days)

I would call the cab company, take it to an apple store, but after that I think you've done well beyond the call of duty

even posting it here might help find the owner

good luck and God Bless

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice thread.

OP, please let us know the result of your efforts.

13. AWShuttleworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions and help, everyone. It turned out to be easier than I figured. I called T-Mobile, read the SIM card number to them, and they were only too happy to get in touch with their customer for me and give her my phone number. She called me a few minutes later and we set up a time for her to come pick the phone up at my house.

The T-Mobile people were disappointed I was an AT&T subscriber, they said, because they wanted to give me a month of free service, which I thought was sweet.

Anyway , a happy ending! Thanks again.

14. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Oh wow, kudos to you for going to the effort to find the owner of the phone. I bet you really made her day.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the feedback.

Nice story with a nice ending. :)

16. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

So you didn't offer to hand the phone back over lunch/dinner? :cool:

17. kuato macrumors member

When she comes over to pick it up answer the door in a silk robe

18. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors regular

lol, she might just let him keep the phone and run if he does that

19. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Lmao. Another way to tell a finder of your phone your contact details is to send a text with another person's phone. The message will appear on the lockscreen no?