Carrier Found iphone in uk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foundiphone, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foundiphone macrumors newbie

A friend of mine found an IPhone 5 in LONDON. He told me also that before coming back the phone was reported as lost. However, he came back to LATIN AMERICAN and gave me the phone as a gift. The phone is working well but is block so it does not accept my sim card. However, I want to know certain things:

1. I reset the phone so is like new but the phone is Locked and it cannot be use here unless I unblocked the phone. The fact that was declare as lost it can affect any action to unblock the phone?
    2. Im going to travel to USA. It will work there if I unblock it?

Please no comments about returning the phone because is not posible to me. If could I will do it but Im in the other part of the world besides it has been months so probably the person doesnt care anymore and my friend is not going back.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No one here will help you with using a phone that was reported lost. Your friend shouldn't have taken it in the first place.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Haha what a gift to give Somone
    Here have a lost/stolen iPhone happy birthday lol

4. foundiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I know it was not an ok thing to do but what can I do. I will use it who cares.
    So please someone with an answer about my post is welcome.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If it is on iOS7 and is activation locked you won't be using it. :D

Your attitude about the whole thing makes quite comical.

Enjoy your paper weight.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No help on offer here mate. People who try to use lost or (stolen) phones don't get a lot of help on this forum.
    That's why I like it here!

7. RebornProphet Suspended

You'll get no help here.

Your friend is a thief and you're scum for attempting to access a device that's not yours.

Hopefully it's got iOS 7 on there because activation lock will ensure you never get to enjoy it.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I actually appreciate your honesty, so I will reply. If it's reported lost, perhaps it's been disabled/locked by Apple/Cell Provider, therefore, may never work.

9. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

I'm so happy that Apple has introduced lock feature in iOS 7. :apple:

Finally people who steal iPhones have a fancy looking paperweight and nothing more. :D

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I know that if I lost my iPhone, I wouldn't want anyone benefitting from it, let alone, going through my personal stuff, before resetting it.

11. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

In the UK if you find a smartphone (gadget) and don't hand it in you are classed as stealing it. Your friend has committed a crime by not handing it, as you are in possession of it it can be traced to you and you have admitted that you know your friend found it without handing it in.

Lastly the very fact that your friend gave you the phone suggests that he knows it's worthless, otherwise why would he just give it to you?

12. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I agree and couldn't agree more, last thing I'd want is some scumbag benefitting from my loss whilst I go thorough the pain of an insurance claim. Or worse having to pay full price for a new device.

Jeez some people are shocking

13. RebornProphet Suspended

Another "I found an iPhone" thread from a noob who disappears up his own arse never to be seen again after being told where to go by our community here.

Well done folks.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Lost or stolen , it's going to be the same to everyone here.

The right thing was to hand it into the police if it was found.

Your not going to get advice here.

15. UKapple macrumors regular

First, How would your 'friend' know it had been reported lost if he had only 'found' it?

Two, the person who you say lost it or more likely had it 'stolen' still cares about it as iPhones are expensive and could hold a whole host of personal and sentimental data for that individual.

Three, this whole scenario appears to suspicious to me. I think the likely case is that it has been stolen in London, reported as stolen and the person now in possession of it knows this but is trying to find a workaround to get it usable.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

16. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I"m looking forward though to someone signing up to the forums using, "stoleniPhone" rather than what the OP chose.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

At least there would be some honesty in that :)

Looks like the OP disappeared because he/she didn't get the answer they were hoping for :D

18. magilla macrumors regular

Two things. If the original user had access to iCloud (not sure about how that would work from overseas) and had the phone iCloud locked ... you're SOL. You CAN'T unlock it without the original owner's ID and password. You've just acquired an expensive paperweight. If you were really unscrupulous, you could break it up and sell it for parts.

And as for "I will use it who cares. [sic]" WHO RAISED YOU? WOLVES? You answered your own question "... I know it was not an ok thing to do but what can I do." YOU MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO RETURN IT. After all, if it were YOUR phone wouldn't you want someone who found it to return it to you? What if it were a laptop? What if it were $1000 in cash?

Grow a pair and do the right thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.