Found iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zmund, Aug 16, 2011.

1. zmund macrumors newbie

Found a 3gs on the street. No physical damage to the phone, but the screen stays black and the computer wont even recognize it. Ive tried charging it, but nothing. I think he died. Anyone know any good tricks? ive tried the button holding stuff and it is still dead.

i have tmobile anyways, with a data plan, so i dont know if i would even be able to use it in the first place.

SO, try to fix it or just throw it away?

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Return it to an AT&T or Apple Store.

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Take it to the authorities or AT&T. If you take it to the police and no one claims it after a certain amount of time, it legally becomes yours. Wouldn't you feel better owning something legally after knowing that the owner didn't try to get it back, rather than owning something illegally, wondering if the owner was distraught about the object's loss? Do the right thing, you'll feel that much better.

If you don't turn it in properly, you are committing a crime called larceny.

5. isooz macrumors member

Hand it in. I was distraught when someone 'found' mine

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Then I have committed larceny a lot by finding money on the ground.

If the phone doesn't turn on, try taking it to Apple and see if they can locate whoever it is. But don't leave until they do.

I found an iPhone one time in 2007. Took it to AT&T, they said take it to Apple. Took it to Apple, they said take it to AT&T. I went back to AT&T and they told me to keep it because If i hand it over, it will sit in a drawer for a long time.

Long story short, AT&T, Apple nor the police will do crap. My cousin is a police officer and told me they get iPhones all the time. They never attempt to locate the guy. Just like if your iPhone gets stolen, AT&T will not track it.

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

ouch sorry to hear. I'm sure your not a bad person. Kinda weird this brave new world, that even lost possessions that you find can't be kept because you may be found, unlike the olden days @_@