Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I got my iPhone off the MagSafe charger this morning and it seemed completely dead, wouldn't boot up, wouldn't show anything on the screen even when I plugged it into a wired charger... I panicked a little but searched on the Internet and found an Apple troubleshooting page where they recommended a hard-restart or something (press volume up, volume down then press power button and hold it) and it booted with a battery at 100%.

However I've never experienced anything like that with any iPhone I've owned for the last 13 years. It's an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the latest official iOS 16.0.3, worked like a charm until now. Has anyone experienced anything like that? What could be the reason? I opened the battery status page in the settings and it seemed that when I left it on the charger at around 12AM it started gradually charging it to 100% until around 2-3AM where bars disappear with no battery status being recorded, meaning the phone died when fully charged. There’s a long window of no battery status at all until 7:30 in the morning, which is when I hard-restarted it, and the bars reappear at 100%, so it’s been dead for hours while on the charger and with a full battery. Wondering if it's related to the MagSafe charger somehow, or to a faulty battery? Or is it an iOS bug? Was it an update that was installed unsuccessfully midnight (iOS 16.1 is expected today, maybe that was it?) or something else?

Last edited:

NewIphone14

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2022
I got my iPhone off the MagSafe charger this morning and it seemed completely dead, wouldn't boot up, wouldn't show anything on the screen even when I plugged it into a wired charger... I panicked a little but searched on the Internet and found an Apple troubleshooting page where they recommended a hard-restart or something (press volume up, volume down then press power button and hold it) and it booted with a battery at 100%.

However I've never experienced anything like that with any iPhone I've owned for the last 13 years. It's an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the latest official iOS 16.0.3, worked like a charm until now. Has anyone experienced anything like that? What could be the reason? I opened the battery status page in the settings and it seemed that when I left it on the charger at around 12AM it started gradually charging it to 100% until around 2-3AM where bars disappear with no battery status being recorded, meaning the phone died when fully charged. There’s a long window of no battery status at all until 7:30 in the morning, which is when I hard-restarted it, and the bars reappear at 100%, so it’s been dead for hours while on the charger and with a full battery. Wondering if it's related to the MagSafe charger somehow, or to a faulty battery? Or is it an iOS bug? Was it an update that was installed unsuccessfully midnight (iOS 16.1 is expected today, maybe that was it?) or something else?
This happened to me last night on my new Iphone 14. I called the Verizon rep and he said it’s important to power off the phone at least once per day.
I never had this problem with my “old” iphone 7.
Have you heard of this solution?

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
This happened to me last night on my new Iphone 14. I called the Verizon rep and he said it’s important to power off the phone at least once per day.
I never had this problem with my “old” iphone 7.
Have you heard of this solution?
This happens to me all the time when I put the AirPods on and then trying to wake the screen. Non responsive with black screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.