Found my new MacBook Pro running even though I had...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carrotsandsmart, Jan 24, 2008.

1. carrotsandsmart macrumors newbie

This afternoon I found my new MacBook Pro running even though I am sure I had turned it off. Perhaps I don't know how to turn it off? I clicked on the :apple: on the menu bar, and then choose "shut down", I later went back and closed the cover, I am sure the screen was black at that point, put the MBP in a kitbag, but when I got home, I realized the MBP was still on! What have I done wrong?

2. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

This is what i think could have happened, (its happened to me before)

Perhaps you still had an application running while you tried to shut down your computer. Sometimes my computer tells me i have to end a certain application by pressing quit and then it will shut down.

So maybe you selected shut down and left, then your comp. asked you to shut an application, and you didn't so the screen eventually went to sleep, and then you put your computer to sleep by closing the screen and putting it in your bag.

Hope this helps

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I used to randomly get this problem when I had my MBP. Despite shutting down and the screen going black the power light would turn on when closing the case and if you put your ear to the case you could hear a quiet fan still running.

I couldn't figure out the reason so I just reinstalled Leopard (Clean Install) and the problem went away! I assume it was one of the (few) programs I had installed that wasn't shutting down properly or which had changed some settings. But in all fariness it would happen even when the only program I had opened was Safari.

Strange hey?

4. Steel Wheels macrumors member

Steel Wheels

I've experienced the same issue occasionally. For some reason Leopard likes to hang on a shutdown every once in a while. I'm hoping the 10.5.2 update will cure this problem.

5. carrotsandsmart thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you

Thanks Finlandboy and others for your comments. This may be what happened (programs still running) so I am going to be more vigilant about making sure everything is closed - is there some way to force the machine to power down?

I am new at ownership of this computer, so I am learning all the time, perhaps when the update .02 comes out, I will do a complete re-install just to get back to square 1, but this time, armed with a little more knowledge!

Thanks

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the way to force power down is to hold the powe button butt this should be only done when the whole OS freezes. just make sure that apps that need to bo closed properly are quit before you shutdown or restart like safari with mulitple tabs, transmission, parallels (all i can think of).