Found one of these rare bad boys today!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jiggly Billy, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Jiggly Billy macrumors member

Found an older DP G4 for sale today. Nothing was very interesting until I saw the CPU cooler. Huh, dual fans and a copper heat sink? It MUST have a Sonnet CPU upgrade! Went and picked it up for $40. The OS kernel panics so I had to pull the CPU speed from Open Firmware. After converting the hex to a regular readable number, it turns out to be a Dual 1.8GHZ upgrade! Too bad it won't work in our Cube, but the money from the sale of it can go twords a proper Cube CPU upgrade. Up to ebay it goes along with the Sonnet USB 2.0 card and PCI wifi card!

MODS: I'm not linking the auctions since I know that is a no-no with how few posts I have!

Attached Files:

2. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

Pretty interesting. What's causing the panics? I have a G4 AGP here and every time I reinstall, it works for about half an hour and then goes to kernel panics. It then doesn't boot up again. Mine's probably a memory issue...

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I would suspect that being a Sonnet, the person who installed it did not update the firmware. Without the firmware update the Sonnet isn't recognized and you get KPs.

4. Jiggly Billy thread starter macrumors member

Supposedly it was up & running beforehand. I'm assuming some poor job of trying to wipe "personal files", but you may be right. Open Firmware is recognizing it and giving me a proper hex number for the CPU speed which to me means it's working? Though my PPC experience is pretty good, I've never actually come across a proper CPU upgrade outside of an overclocked factory CPU.

Pretty safe to assume that this would burn up in the Cube? Well, more the VRM would burn up? I know it wouldn't fit as it currently is setup, though the fan headers off the CPU board are a good place to start with preventing some kind of meltdown.

5. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

Wow. You'll be about $400 richer judging by the prices those always go for :/ Every time I see one I have to decide if paying rent is more important or a G4 upgrade.

6. dextructor macrumors newbie

I barely saw this ebay ad yesterday. I received my usual email alerts of the keywords of G4 CPU upgrades, but in about 1 hour of the post the item was sold to the same guy that resells all this G4 CPU upgrades on ebay again. Damn out of luck

7. Jiggly Billy thread starter macrumors member

I'm not shocked how fast it sold. I used to money to help save other near-junked Apple products! Picked up a Mac Pro 1,1 for $80, now to slap in an SSD, dual 3.0ghz quads, GTX 560Ti (I also have spare HD6950s), and cram El Capitan onto it and then sell it for the next person to enjoy!

I do enjoy buying older dying Apple products, giving them a new lease on life, and a little extra $$$ doesn't hurt either :D

8. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

in the case of this specific CPU upgrade, if the firmware patch was not installed, the Machine would not POST at all, so the FW patch has been installed :)

(I can also tell its the sonnet one due to it masking the Real 7447A PVR, and replacing with the PVR of a 7455)

to the OP, very nice :)

id highly recommend replacing the thermal paste, as its prolly quite dry at this point, and these 1.8Ghz upgrades especially are run quite close to the edge, plus its a chance to grab some sweet die shots :) (I suspect it uses 1.6Ghz rated 7447Bs)

(on the cube thing, I imagine with the right amount of fudging you can prolly shove it into a cube :) )

9. benwild_33 macrumors regular

$400!! I've got one of these and never realised it was worth that kind of money, I had a boxed dual 1.6GHz Sonnet that I sold but that only went for around £60.

10. dextructor macrumors newbie

I would like to have bought that from you. =(