Found out a trick to boost batt life while surfing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hari-bhari, Jan 9, 2009.

1. hari-bhari macrumors regular

I noticed that a lot of websites use flash, especially for ads which saps your batt life while surfing. So I installed Safari Adblock and also went into Safari preferences and disabled plugins. Most sites I visit work fine because they have backups for browsers without flash. When it comes to a site with a video, I just renable plugins and refresh the page (no need to quit safari completely). But it added about 45min to and hour of predicted battery life on a full charge.

2. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

By the way, using this trick with low screen brightness (4 clicks) and moderate keyboard backlight, I got about 1:20 of surfing off of 29% battery. Calculates to about 4:45 total for full charge. 9400m of course

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I think it's criminal how much CPU Flash occupies... good tip :)

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

i should have thought of this earlier! its only criminal on macs :( and considering macs were the first computers to have flash its a bit rude too.

5. RKpro macrumors 6502

I just use Firefox 3 Beta 2 with AdBlockPlus add-on, it blocks out all the flash ads, and all other ads, but allows youtube and other video players.

(btw, I use FF3 beta 2 because it allows trackpad gestures like Safari)

6. bay2sacto macrumors member

Have you heard of MultiClutch? Its a free preference pane that allows you to assign gestures to *ANY* app on a multitouch MB/MBP.

Link (Via TUAW)

7. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

yes but sites like cnet, abcnews, and facebook all use flash if its available. if you actually remove the plugin totally you will see a message requesting you to install it. however if you disable the plugins then the sites switch into some other mode and everything still renders normally. i cant tell the difference in functionality, but i can tell the difference in battery life :D

8. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

If you guys haven't done so, update to Flash 10. It uses less power than the old flash that comes pre-installed on the computers....You can download it here.. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ It is still pathetic compared to Windows, but the latest version is a step in the right direction...I know this is old news, so if you are already using this new version, sorry...

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm using FF3 beta 2, and found that AdblockPlus doesn't work for me, on sites like IGN.com or Engadget.com. Just got FlashBlock instead, which works great.

10. semitry macrumors member

I use noscript, a firefox plugin, it lets you block anything and allowing sites or certain flash applications on the fly is simple.

And does multiclutch work with 4 finger gestures, would be nice to remap spaces to that.

11. bay2sacto macrumors member

Unfortunately not at this time. Though the author has said on his site he plans to implement them in a future update.