Found Secret FREE gps!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hrag525, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrag525 macrumors member

okay so this is my story and the secret i found.

I live in the city of philadelphia and i own an iphone 3g black 16 gigs. Since the monthly bill of my iphone got way to expensive, i called AT&T and i told them to cancel my iphone's network. In doing that i no longer have EDGE nor 3G. SO i use the iphone as just a regular phone, it has the line with my minutes, texts, and free WIFI wherever i can pick it up.(the city of Philadelphia has its own free wifi, so why should i pay for 3g?)

TO GET TO THE POINT...i needed directions to a place so i thought why not try my phone...i connected to a wifi not in the city and i opened my maps and my blue dot started blinking so i thought okay i got the map, ill just use that and try to find my way around. AS doing so! i turned off my wifi so my battery doesnt drain and WHAT I FOUND OUT... the blue dot kept blinking? i thought okay maybe a glitch. BUT NO i used the blue dot all the way home. i was not connected to a wifi because the maps under the blue dot were not loading. I FOLLOWED MY BLUE DOT ON THE PURPLE DIRECTION LINE AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE... thinking to myself okay im going to right way.

SO IN CONCLuSION...im on a family plan and i only pay 15 bucks for my line with unlimited text AND FREE GPS.

any explanations would be great...maybe the gps chip in our iphones doesnt neeed an internet service? thats what i think.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't cancel data on a 3G iPhone. I don't believe you.

Everything else can happen on its own, but you can't cancel data.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And I don't think you ever need data services to use the GPS transponder. You just need a GPS signal.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

right, only the maps need data

6. hrag525 thread starter macrumors member

actually...

why would i lie about something like this?

call at&t and try it for youself.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, that'd go over well.

"Hey, AT&T. I have a Day One iPhone from 2007 that I've never had phone or data service with you on. Now, I know that you DO remove the data plan on the original iPhone, but let's say that I have a 3G and let's say that I have a data plan with it. Would you remove it? Hello? AT&T?"

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

He got the maps and direction via wifi. Then, after losing the wifi signal, he had a blank gray screen with a blue dot and the original purple line showing his route. GPS (the blue dot) does not need a data connection.

9. hrag525 thread starter macrumors member

listen, im just telling you my story. you CAN cancel your data plan, by simply using excuses like hey i lost my iphone and idont want to cancel my 2 year contract...can you just take off the data plan so i can find another phone till my 2 years end.

10. hrag525 thread starter macrumors member

exactly.

11. daflake macrumors 6502a

That is called lying and if you are found out you could find a nice large bill in your future. :rolleyes:

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you found secret gps.....using gps?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, so you lie to AT&T, get them to remove it for a few weeks, and then when they see you're still using an iPhone, they re-add it.

I got you now.

14. Takeurtime macrumors member

The WIILL catch you soon.

15. hrag525 thread starter macrumors member

right. i never knew i could use my blue dot (gps) without a data connection. I was sure Apple or at&t would have a horrible way to not allow it.

16. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Astounding, isn't it?:p

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Exactly? Then why are you even posting this thread?

18. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

If you were on an iPhone 3G contract (likely, if you have an iPhone 3G), then you can't just simply lose the phone or get it stolen. You're still liable for the contract, so that excuse won't work. If they let you cancel the data plan, don't be surprised if you get hit with an ETF.

Also, it would be pretty funny to see you post in a few weeks that you just got a huge bill containing an ETF and tons of data usage at their metered rate.

19. hrag525 thread starter macrumors member

hey its been about 3 months and nothing yet...im just happy im saving about 25 bucks a month on my phone bill:D

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If he somehow got away with the "I lost it" lie, I wouldn't be surprised if they charge him for data at the metered rate... AND added the $30/m charge back on. :D

21. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

So, you had data at $25/month? How'd you swing that?

22. hrag525 thread starter macrumors member

lol you guys are harsh man. i thought you guys would be like " oh mah gosh! totallly coool dudes!", but guess not:(

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why would we commend you for lying about something to get away with what we're too moral to do?

24. hrag525 thread starter macrumors member

aright man relax

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.