found someone selling a macbook for cheap

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by semiconstructiv, Jan 13, 2008.

1. semiconstructiv macrumors newbie

So, I've found a deal over the net for a macbook black for 800 bucks should i go for it?

2.2 SR
    2gb RAM
    13.3"

3 weeks old / small dent i guess on the side.

2. sowillo14 macrumors regular

3. je1ani macrumors 6502

Depending on this so called 'Dent.' Other than that it sounds waay too good to be true.. 3 weeks? C'mon someone is losing half their money.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sounds too good to be true if it's truly a small dent that doesn't really affect functionality. Where did you find this listing? Macs are popular items for scammers to use as bait, so be very careful.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

suspiciously cheap. i wouldn't be surprised if the macbook was dented as it was stolen. caution.

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'd get more details and photos before even thinking about making a decision, and what sort of payment would they like you to make for this transaction ?

Could you pick it up in person too ?

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

8. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Dent/crack yes.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Crack, chip, scratch, are all characteristics of plastic, but dent? Ive never had anything thats plastic actually dent, when you bend plastic it usually goes back to its shape or breaks. A plastic case with a dent in it sounds like the seller doesnt know the macbook is made of plastic, since he might not actually have one.

10. TheOnlyOasis macrumors newbie

Is it on craigslist? If so, maybe you should meet up in person and ask him to show you that it functions properly before throwing down any money.

11. semiconstructiv thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i found the deal over craiglist. i'm gonna check it out sometime this week if i can. becuase yeah. i was saying that's pretty much 50 percent off sounds kinda fishy yet such a goood price

12. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

13. dannofuzz macrumors newbie

I've been searching Craigslist as well. Lots of "great" deals have been popping up. Found some "NEW" 17" MBP for about half price. Turns out "the laptop is currently in the UK" but can be shipped to the US. Yeah...OK. No thanks. I actually found some that sound like the one you're looking at. They too have a "small dent" and are only "4 months old" but otherwise are in perfect condition. I'm thinking the dent is a way to somehow justify the half-price, but in the end it's still a scam. Don't buy anything on Craigslist that you can't see and touch physically in person.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you can see it in person and pick it up then it is probably a good deal, otherwise it is too cheap to be safe so don't go for it unless you can see it.