Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I came across this from Wired's online magazine. At first I loved it, ordered one, but it's too small, and cancelled...

It's 59" wide, but only about 27.5" deep, which includes the flip up cable organization panel. My current desk is 90" wide, and 35" deep, which is large, but I've gotten used to it (IOW: My stuff has spread to cover the current horizontal surface. It's also near critical mass!).

But would this appeal to anyone? Should I rethink using it and dump the aircraft carrier I currently use. (It's an old full-on office Steelcase executive desk I got for $100 about 25 years ago. And it's built like a tank! The desk top is 1.5" thick!) It (the metal desk) has a lot of cool features, like the magnetic desk pad, and the ability to use magnetic cable holders, and the flip up cable organizer, etc.

I guess I'm trying to talk myself back into it, but am wondering if I can live with that much of a change. (Like where do I put all that 'stuff') And would the magnets be a problem.

Full disclosure: I don't work for, represent, or have ever ordered anything from them before, and am just trying to figure out if there is an angle I haven't thought of to talk myself back into getting this. It has 'minimalism' going for it. This current desk would probably survive a thermonuclear war!

I think the cost of this new desk isn't that much out of line with other desks, although I haven't done much research to be honest.

What do other people use for desks?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I came across this from Wired's online magazine. At first I loved it, ordered one, but it's too small, and cancelled...

It's 59" wide, but only about 27.5" deep, which includes the flip up cable organization panel. My current desk is 90" wide, and 35" deep, which is large, but I've gotten used to it (IOW: My stuff has spread to cover the current horizontal surface. It's also near critical mass!).

But would this appeal to anyone? Should I rethink using it and dump the aircraft carrier I currently use. (It's an old full-on office Steelcase executive desk I got for $100 about 25 years ago. And it's built like a tank! The desk top is 1.5" thick!) It (the metal desk) has a lot of cool features, like the magnetic desk pad, and the ability to use magnetic cable holders, and the flip up cable organizer, etc.

I guess I'm trying to talk myself back into it, but am wondering if I can live with that much of a change. (Like where do I put all that 'stuff') And would the magnets be a problem.

Full disclosure: I don't work for, represent, or have ever ordered anything from them before, and am just trying to figure out if there is an angle I haven't thought of to talk myself back into getting this. It has 'minimalism' going for it. This current desk would probably survive a thermonuclear war!

I think the cost of this new desk isn't that much out of line with other desks, although I haven't done much research to be honest.

What do other people use for desks?
I couldn't find anything that had the dimensions I wanted without costing over a bazillion dollars or being custom made. So I went to America Furniture Warehouse and found a dining room table.

78w x 40d x 30h

I did not need the chairs so did not order them. I'd stick with your desk if I had one that wide.

• Wow
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I was so disgusted with the desk offerings of today with their heinous, shallow, front to back dimension that puts the monitor right in your face, that I ended up just building my own lol.

48” wide by 30” deep (front to back)

One inch plywood doubled up for a nice thick top then a simple three wall support

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I couldn't find anything that had the dimensions I wanted without costing over a bazillion dollars or being custom made. So I went to America Furniture Warehouse and found a dining room table.

78w x 40d x 30h

I did not need the chairs so did not order them. I'd stick with your desk if I had one that wide.

Interesting solution. I am one that hates legs on desks. I keep knocking then with my own legs. I did have a thought of laying claim to the current dining table that the wife complains about, and that would force (coerce?) her to get a new one. It's huge, but only has 4 legs at the corners, which is what I found appealing about the metal desk. If that metal one were only 'huger'... :cool:

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting solution. I am one that hates legs on desks. I keep knocking then with my own legs. I did have a thought of laying claim to the current dining table that the wife complains about, and that would force (coerce?) her to get a new one. It's huge, but only has 4 legs at the corners, which is what I found appealing about the metal desk. If that metal one were only 'huger'... :cool:
Yeah, I only had the thought because there was a small amount of time where I was working in the kitchen with my work supplied Mac. I like the results so this table is going to be here for a while.

I don't like legs either so the trick is to find a table that doesn't use those as a 'feature'. If you go with a more expensive table you might be able to get a 'leaf' insert (our real dining room table has one) to make the table even wider.

This solution works for me so far and I'm probably going to stick with it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yeah, I only had the thought because there was a small amount of time where I was working in the kitchen with my work supplied Mac. I like the results so this table is going to be here for a while.

I don't like legs either so the trick is to find a table that doesn't use those as a 'feature'. If you go with a more expensive table you might be able to get a 'leaf' insert (our real dining room table has one) to make the table even wider.

This solution works for me so far and I'm probably going to stick with it.

It's not that legs 'look bad', they just tend to be hard and often have sharp edges, and human legs don't.

I almost bought a 'computer desk' at a 'big box office supply store', but nixed the idea after looking at the thin metal rods that laced underneath. I thought they were decoration, but they actually held the damn thing square, and were quite a mess underneath. If you weren't rolled into the desk straight on, you had a rod or two impeding your leg. It had a glass top surface too, meaning desk pad, or no optical mouse without frosting the glass somehow. *shrug*

Yours does look like the legs are far enough away to allow for good access. And desk height is so all over the place. Oh, and finding 'real wood' is damn near impossible, sadly. And particle board, aside from off-gassing, really isn't very durable for me as I'm rough on my toys. :D:cool:

Reactions: eyoungren

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
If you don't mind a little cutting... I purchased the island countertop from Ikea and cut it to the size I wanted. I have two of the drawer units and three legs attached to it and it is sturdy as all get out and it is deep. Two cuts and done.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If you don't mind a little cutting... I purchased the island countertop from Ikea and cut it to the size I wanted. I have two of the drawer units and three legs attached to it and it is sturdy as all get out and it is deep. Two cuts and done.

That makes me sad... Three years ago I was gutting a family member's house after they passed, and found a solid real wood butcher block table top, nearly 6 feet long, and at least 3 feet wide, inch thick as I remember it. It was heavy, and the mess from a primo horder, we were throwing out 99.972% of everything we touched, and it got tossed. I *almost* went back to get it. I feel so stupid for tossing it. It had cheesy cheap wire legs on it, and needed a good sanding, but other than that, was probably infinitely salvageable. But we pitched so much crap. We filled three full size half height containers. The memory of it almost brings me into PTSD. Yikes... Oh well, it's long gone now... But what could ahve been. They don't make wood like that anymore...

EDIT: Surreal experience. I found a glue trap with a snake stuck in it that had a mouse in it's mouth. Both long since dead. It was all horrific...

• Wow
Reactions: rhett7660

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
That makes me sad... Three years ago I was gutting a family member's house after they passed, and found a solid real wood butcher block table top, nearly 6 feet long, and at least 3 feet wide, inch thick as I remember it. It was heavy, and the mess from a primo horder, we were throwing out 99.972% of everything we touched, and it got tossed. I *almost* went back to get it. I feel so stupid for tossing it. It had cheesy cheap wire legs on it, and needed a good sanding, but other than that, was probably infinitely salvageable. But we pitched so much crap. We filled three full size half height containers. The memory of it almost brings me into PTSD. Yikes... Oh well, it's long gone now... But what could ahve been. They don't make wood like that anymore...

EDIT: Surreal experience. I found a glue trap with a snake stuck in it that had a mouse in it's mouth. Both long since dead. It was all horrific...

And real butcher block pieces are not cheap... Not super expensive, but not cheap! Oh man. We looked at getting one from one of the local wood places.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
IMG_0329.jpeg

My desk is built like a tank out of a small 5x2' 3/4" sheet of plywood and 2x4's. 2 shelves and closet shelf brackets held up by a thrift store bookcase. Chair I received as payment for work done for a client.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My uncle died some time in 1998. Actually a great, great uncle, he built the house he died in some time in the 1930s or 40s I believe. Carpenter by trade he was known for being able to drive nails in one strike.

We inherited a few of his quality pieces. One is a coffee table that was in his living room. It has geometric shapes on it that HIS father laid in to the top. We also have the dining set my uncle got some time in the 1950s. This is real solid wood and the table is our main dining table.

I'm glad we were able to grab stuff when my mom was cleaning out his house. When she goes we will end up with some of the stuff she kept from him too.

My uncle only bought (and made) quality stuff.

• Love

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I found a long butcher block plank in my local Home Depot, then purchased a pair of the short cubical bookcases from Walmart to hold it up at both ends and are almost as long as the plank is wide. It made a table that is not bad looking, has a ton of desktop space, lots of legroom, and the addition of eight more cubby holes for stuff. (A little inconvenient, since they are sideways and I have to duck down to access them, but for seldom used items, fine). In addition, the ersatz plank-table is so strong it can be stood on without the slightest possible of collapse. And long enough to hold 4 Apple Pro Displays side by side and a printer at the end. (If you know anyone who could use such, or has the money to buy them - not me.)

Vastly superior to the overpriced imported junk in Office Depot.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The wide space on the worktop is cool, I wouldn't reduce it. The metal surface with magnets is also cool, you can fit some items for reliability without fixing. How heavy is it?

The Magnus 1.5m weighs ~93 pounds, 42kg.
The Magnus Pro 1.5m weighs ~125 pounds, 56.7 kg.
The Magnus Pro 1.7m XL weighs ~150 pounds, 68kg.

Those last two weights seem too 'perfect'. Nothing that size would be exactly 125 and 150 pounds.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Oh, since that first post, they have THREE desks now. The 'standard', the Pro, and the Pro 'XL'.

I'm still thinking about getting one, the XL of course, trying to sell my soul (still) and not getting quite enough for it.

The standard and Pro are 59.1" (1.5m) wide, 27.6" (0.7m) deep. The Pro XL is 70" (~1.8m) wide 31.5" (0.8m) deep. So it's almost almost aircraft carrier size. Ooooo... They had me at Pro XL!

EDIT: The Pro desks have 2 electric motors in them to adjust height. Weird...

Last edited:

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I used to have a behemouth of a desk, the sort found in 90's early 2000's corner offices. In fact thats when and where it came from! I miss all that desk space but I didn't have room for it anymore.

I have since replaced it with a Pilsen Graphite L-Shaped Desk with Glass Top from Crate and Barrell. I like it (minus the constant cleaning). If I had seen the one from Secretlab I may have gone for that instead. I like the magent cable management options.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I used to have a behemouth of a desk, the sort found in 90's early 2000's corner offices. In fact thats when and where it came from! I miss all that desk space but I didn't have room for it anymore.

I have since replaced it with a Pilsen Graphite L-Shaped Desk with Glass Top from Crate and Barrell. I like it (minus the constant cleaning). If I had seen the one from Secretlab I may have gone for that instead. I like the magent cable management options.

I currently have a GIGANTIC Stealcase particle board behemoth desk from the early oughts. The wooden looking things that have the radiused edges and the lock in the middle of the sitting space. It has the 'L' shaped 'return' so it's really rather large, and HEAVY. The drawers are huge, and the lock didn't work, so I took it out, and now can't get into the bottom drawer. It's just too big.

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
I know this is an old thread but I have been thinking of replacing my 5 year old Uplift extra-large L-shaped standing desk. It has served me well but I am giving it to the son who has been using my old reliable Office Depot standing desk.

I am considering the SecretLabs Magnus Pro XL, 70x32 with the integrated cable trough. I like that it has a full-width trough with a slot to allow the wires to pass thru rather than a couple holes. I also like that the power is integrated in the leg (although it is on the left/wrong side for my application. I would prefer it to be on the right due to the other cables also coming in there...). I also like that the controls are integrated within the desktop rather than underneath, I keep knocking them on my current desk.

What I was wondering is if anyone has any suggestions on alternatives I should look at in order to do due dilligence before I spend $1500 or so. I really want to hide the wires and the size of the trough seems to be large enough for a big power strip and to hold the power bricks for my TS4, as well as my other stuff (speakers, switch, Hades Canyon NUC and 3 monitors). The MacBook Pro is powered via the TS4 so that won't be an issue.

Has anyone actually used one of these or know of any alternatives I should check out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.