Found this MW announcement info..

IOComposer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
I cannot verify if this is true or not but someone posted this info on the dealmac site about the MW announcements. If this is true, I'm going to be pissed that I just spent $3500 on a dual 800!.

Here is the schedule for new equipment from MWSF:

The new LCD iMac will be available immediately starting at $599, 700 MHz15" LCD CDRW up to a $1299, 900 MHz 17" LCD SuperDrive model.

One of the new towers will ship immediately:
Dual processor 1.2GHZ CDRW 80GB HD 512MB RAM $1499

The other two will ship within two months
Dual processor 1.6GHz SuperDrive 120GB HD 512MB RAM $1899
Quad processor 2.4 GHz SuperDrive, two 120GB HD's, 1.5GB RAM $2299

The new Ti and iceBook (new colors, Blue, Red, Hunter Green) will be introduced at Tokyo!
Look for 800/900 MHz iceBook with 13.1" or 14.1" LCD
Ti will be single 867MHz and dual 867MHz with 16" LCD
Don't have price points yet on these!

Uh..., one more thing. All with Airport built in, and new GigaWire!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
It's hard to decide...

these seem very optimistic...

I know this is supposed to be a BIG DEAL...but I can't say for sure if I'm going for it or not?

Quad Processor seems just too much. I don't think there's any need for something that big to come about yet.

Colored iBooks don't seem too far fetched, but dual 867 TiBooks?! I don't think I'm going for it...

what do u guys think?

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
Dual processor 1.2GHZ CDRW 80GB HD 512MB RAM $1499

The other two will ship within two months
Dual processor 1.6GHz SuperDrive 120GB HD 512MB RAM $1899
Quad processor 2.4 GHz SuperDrive, two 120GB HD's, 1.5GB RAM $2299
how nice it would be if the "big deal" was in fact a big deal, like the prices quoted here. Those specs at those prices? In 2 years.

IOComposer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Re: It's hard to decide...

Quad Processor seems just too much. I don't think there's any need for something that big to come about yet.
I could very easily use that much power. For Digital Audio, your native plug-in and track count depends solely on the amount of processor speed you have. A quad 2.4Ghz would bump a native system past the ProTools realm of possibilities.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
you're nuts. anyway...the g3 cant handle a superdrive...and a 17 inch lcd imac even with only a cdrom and g3 would cost more than 1299

-Pete

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
i agree

I doubt seriously apple would ship a superdrive equipped computer with no g4 at least! i think the g3 is over.. and it will only be around in the education line imac.. (crt) but the new lcd will come with a g4.. it is time .. it is available.. and we are all ready!

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
A DVD burn doesn't need the G4 as much as the MPEG encoding does. If apple can encode the MPEG video stream with hardware, then it could run on a fast G3. Oh yeah, Apple bought Spruce this past summer and Spruce could definitely supply a hardware encoder, though I doubt it would be in anything but a very highend machine.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
riiiiiiight.....

...dual 120GB HDs on a 220 dollar machine? sure. whatever. Quad 2.4Ghz processors? They would have to be G5s, the G4 is not going to go that high, last I heard, they were putting aside 1Ghz G5s in case they didn't have enough 1.6Ghz ones. No way can they do quad 2.4Ghz. Steve Jobs *might* have one, but I kinda doubt it.

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Re: It's hard to decide...

Originally posted by eyelikeart

Colored iBooks don't seem too far fetched, but dual 867 TiBooks?! I don't think I'm going for it...

what do u guys think?
The quad processor machine has been rumored to be in developement before. Not far fetched at all.

as for the Dual tibook... That one has been rumored too. The idea behind a dual processor Tibook is that it would predominantly use only one chip to conserve power, but the second processor would kick in as needed, or whenever it is plugged into a power outlet.

As for the G5... It's coming, but according to the Motorola road map, it's not yet viable for a desktop machine. There's another rumor that the new enclosures are due in April, which would fit the timeline for a G5 introduction.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I love the smell of hot wires in the morning................

It smells like...........
well it smells kinda nasy actually. I've got serious doubts about multi Ghz/ multi -processor idea, particularly in the tibook.
BTW the #1 complaint about the "new" desktop machines in the 667+ Mhz range is the smell. They smell like hot wires. Have any of you run a Tibook on your laps at the 667 speed? Its like a damn hotplate. Open one up: The keyboard frame contacts the heat sinc in such a way as to suggest that it's part of the heat dump process.

The 120 Gb HDs are the kicker though........... Unless Apple has a line on some "new tech" storage devices, it aint gonna happen.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: I love the smell of hot wires in the morning................

Quad 2.4Ghz Yeah right! Lets keep on wishing

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Fantasy Worlds

If any of those fantasies come true (other than colored ibooks) then the announcements will indeed meet Apple's hype on their web site. Alas, I am skeptical, but as always hopeful